Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, let me apologise to anyone who hasn't eaten their breakfast, dinner or tea(depending on which part of the world you live)

We had a really hot spell here for several weeks(very unusual) and I found that when I picked up the dog's toilet , wrapped it several times in doggy bags, and put it into my outside bin(garbage can for americans) well..... lets just say... the phrase 'eau de toilette' took on a new meaning :(

To make matters worse, the cleansing workers went on strike(no problem with that) but my bin was not emptied for TWO WEEKS and to say it was RANCID would be putting it mildly.

I came up with the idea of disposing of the offending objects in a more humane way(if you get my drift) but this was met with a chorus of '!DISGUSTING' .& 'Remind me to wear an incontinent pad the next time I visit!!' etc etc. Although I personally wouldn't have a problem with this and actually think it is more hygenic.

Set me wondering how others tackle this problem.

·
Registered
775 Posts
WoW!! 2 weeks is a long time! Here's what I do with the kids waste. I have a diaper pail that I bought at a baby supply store (Babies r us). I use scented liners for the inside can. I pick up twice daily and put the waste in a plastic grocery store bag and tie it into a knot. It goes inside the can in the scented liner. I have trash pick up twice a week. I put the scented liner in a regular kitchen trash bag and it goes out in the trash.

It gets very hot here in Florida and I have to be on top of the piles!!! If not, the smell would be nasty.

·
Registered
465 Posts
There is also something you could get for emergencies, available at Baby Stores. It's called a Diaper Genie. It's a plastic container with a handle on the side. It takes a bundle, (diapers or doggie-doo wrapped in plastic bags), and you turn the handle and it "spins" the bundle into a tube of plastic which then contains the odor, until you can put the whole shebang out for the trash man. (When he decides that he is off strike!) On the other hand, you could just let the whole mess get really smelly to reward those greedy sanitation workers for making your life a misery!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't know how much yard you have but we have quite a lot and we have a sort of compost pile where we dump ashes from the wood stove in the winter and doggie doo and stuff like lettuce that's past its prime and so forth and stir it all up together and we spread it on our tomato patch this year and you ought to see the size of our plants. They're HUGE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts