Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've had people on this forum who have moved very far distances with their pets. I'm considering moving to Africa and need some advice on the best way to get animals there. Should I hire a service, or do everything myself? Should I sedate them? The flight would be very long and I want it to be as painless as possible. There is no quarantine if they have their health certificates.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know we've had people on this forum who have moved very far distances with their pets. I'm considering moving to Africa and need some advice on the best way to get animals there. Should I hire a service, or do everything myself? Should I sedate them? The flight would be very long and I want it to be as painless as possible. There is no quarantine if they have their health certificates.

I am not sure that sedating a dog with prescription tranquilizers during flight is necessary, especially if you have a dog that is healthy physically and mentally.
Now there are some airplanes that allow you and your dog to be in the cabin together. You probably have to put your dog in some sort of crate. Granted that it's more expensive than usual flight ticket, but i think in the end it's worth it.
Pet Rules ANA All Nippon Airways - ANA All Nippon Airways Pet Policy - Pet Travel

My brother bring his Husky from Canada to Indonesia (approx. 18 hours flight) and I don't remember any mentioning about the Husky being sedated. I might be wrong here.
The frustration comes from the quarantine period (especially if you know that they don't exactly treat your dog right).

But, since you said the quarantine isn't necessary as long as he passed his health certificate, i think the process then won't be too much of a trouble.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We took Scully with us when we moved from Canada (Toronto) to New Zealand. It was a bit of a long and kind of complicated process of testing and paperwork to get her into NZ, so for that reason, I decided it would be worth hiring a pet shipping company. Being stressed about the whole thing already, I just did not want to take a chance that I would screw something up and delay her arrival. It just worked better for me to have somebody familiar with the process helping me along the way.

We were actually forbidden to sedate Scully for the flight. Supposedly, it is dangerous, as it may cause blood pressure and respiratory problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts