Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing that Tait's Basset hound are very close to being a puppymill? Is this true? I have known them for all of my life. Please, someone set me straight on what a reputable breeder is? How many dogs should they have? I know the basics, like, health, temperment, williness to take a puppy back if the purchaser is not satisfied, not for profit. But, How can anyone sell puppies, without trying to make money? I think, I'm really getting confused?!!!!

------------------
Leslie, Mom to Beau and Cleo. And Sable (wannabe)and, now Buster the foster. We are not spoiled, just well loved.

·
Registered
626 Posts
lil'bit - sorry I havn't heard of tait basset's... do they have a web-site, where are they based?

In my opinion the following makes a good/reputable breeder ....

A good breeder does not breed to make money -if the bitch is fed and taken care of properly and the puppies are fed good quality food, micro-chipped, wormed and vaccinated there isn't a lot of "profit" left.
A good breeder will not advertise puppies (rarely anyway) they usually have a waiting list.
They will not sell a puppy to just anyone, they will ask you lots of questions and you should be able to ask them lots too.
A good breeder will make sure that you are right for a Basset Hound and give you the pro's & con's of the breed (I know we all know they adorable, but we also know that the main reason Basset's are given up are because they slobber to much, they shed all year round and they grow a lot bigger than most people expect)
A good breeder will offer a life time of advice
A good breeder doesn't always have puppies for sale (a sure sign to me that a place is a puppy farm is that they ALWAYS have puppies for sale!)
A good breeder will show you the Mother of the puppies. (they may also have several generations of Basset's for you to see, which is always nice)
A good breeder will not ship puppies off to
anyone, they will want to meet you.

I don't think it's important how many Basset's a breeder has - the breeder I got Harvey & Daisy from has about 14 Basset's. I think the important thing is how many times they breed from any one dog. The breeder we use, although she has lots of Basset's, she doesn't breed very often. Some of the dogs are old, some are rescue's. Some are for showing, and some she will breed from.

Be wary of anyone who sells lots of different breeds, is only interested in selling you a pup regardless of your circumstances and when money seems to be the most important part of breeding!.

I hope this helps

What made you think Tait Basset's may be a puppymill?

Jayne - harvey & daisy

[This message has been edited by JB (edited 07-25-2002).]

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
"But, How can anyone sell puppies, without trying to make money?"

For most reputable breeder the cost of health screenings of the parents along with the cost of the welping and the care of the pups is more expensive that the price they charge for the pups. They breed for the betterment of the breed. Because the costs are so variable it is possible for one litter or two to make money but generally to be a reliable moneymaker short cuts need to taken that can effect the quality of the pup.

Between a puppymill and a Breeder that preforms all the genetic tests along with Cerf and OFA certification, shows in confromation and/or field trials, is a member of the BHCA and local Basset hound club and supports rescue with money and time, there is a vast area of grey. There are other ways to ascertain the genetic propensity of a parent it does require extensive pedigree analysis and a knowledge of just not the dogs in the pedigree but the off spring and sibblings of the dogs in the pedigree. What does the breeder to prevent the spread of unwanted dogs. Spay nueter contracts, limited registration, take back a dog any time no questions asked, support rescue? So in chosing a breeder one must decide for one's self what is important in a breeder and then see if a specific breeder measures up.

As specifical for the Tait's there is certainly more they could do to insure that there breedings are enhancing the quality of the breed but in the same vane there are many who are doing far less. Personnally I think profit is a bigger motivation for them than quality, which would cause me to look else where. IF a show or near show quality basset ( quality refers to conformation and to a lesser extent free of genetic deseases) were not important I would consider rescue before a breeder. Just because IMHO it is a better way to control the overpopulation problem.

------------------
Worlds slowest agility dog

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
>>>How can anyone sell puppies, without trying to make money?

Quality dog breeding is an expensive HOBBY, not a business. We have a saying that if you're making money, you're not doing it right.

------------------
Miriam,
Mom to Kermit, Spot, Mouse, Rainbow, Copper, Sally, Gabby, Ginger, Lucy, Webster & Rosie

My friend got a basset hound for her husband.......I think she made a good trade.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Tait's website can be viewed here. Tait's doesn't screen buyers (beyond their ability to pay the asking price of a puppy.) Tait's doesn't take back puppies/dogs that can't stay in their original home. Reportedly, rescues serving the Taits' buying area have many Tait's bassets available for adoption. If someone wants a Tait's basset s/he can do a good deed and rescue one, instead of lining the pockets of the guy who is populating rescue.

[This message has been edited by Betsy Iole (edited 07-25-2002).]

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for clearing this up. I have known the Taits all of my life. We have always visited their farm. And, I know John personally. I just had no idea that he was like that (I did, however, know his mother was like that)? I am so shocked and angry right now, I cannot help but send him an e-mail. I want to ask the right questions and see what his response is?

------------------
Leslie, Mom to Beau and Cleo. And Sable (wannabe)and, now Buster the foster. We are not spoiled, just well loved.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Leslie,
I guess the reality is that we see dogs as our babies while others see them as livestock. Personally I think livestock should be treated a lot better too.

------------------
Joanna, Max, Jenny and Fred (ATB)

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Here's a Checklist for the Responsible Breeder. You can probably get some ideas from it. There's a short list of questions and a long list of questions. Reading through them will help you decide what you think is important. Not everyone will have the same priorities, and not everyone will rank priorities in the same order.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I wrote John Tait an e-mail inviting him to come and defend the accusation`s of being a puppymill.
To openly use someones name and talk about his elderly Mother is not what I thought The Basset conformation and breeding Forum was about,I thought it was a forum for those who breed and show basset`s for conformation.
I come to this part of the Forum to hear from those who do participate in Breeding and showing for conformation.

[This message has been edited by mwfulkerson (edited 07-25-2002).]

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike,
I am sorry for asking this question on this forum. I really didn't know where to post it. If I offended you in some way, I am sincerely sorry.
Where should I go to ask this type of question? Also, I thought if I was in the wrong place, Betsy either would have advised me so, or moved the post?
Also, I have known the Taits all of my life. This is not an attack of an elderly woman. My family has had much experience with her. In fact, she openly refused to take back a puppy we purchased in the late 1960's. She did however help my parents to find her a new home. But, a refund was not offered either.
I truly like John, and think he has a great operation.
------------------

[This message has been edited by lil'bit (edited 07-25-2002).]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I don't have a problem with Leslie inquiring on this forum. Tait comes up regularly for discussion on the many basset e-mail lists and forums to which I belong. Sounds like he's doing a booming business.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I know not the kennel in question,does he raise healthy hounds?,does he have a clean kennel?,does many of his hound`s end up at the pound?Is he going to Europe on all his hound profit`s?
These thing`s I don`t know.I just thought this topic needed my 2 cent`s worth of opinion.No need to opoligize to me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had an online correspondence on another board about a year ago on this same topic and Mr. Tait actually joined in the discussion. One thing that struck me is that he mentioned that he had applied to join the Basset Hound Club of America and was turned down because he has too many litters per year.

Being heavily involved in rescue, I spend my days rescuing dogs who are the result of puppy mills and backyard breeders. There's just SO MANY homeless hounds out there. As Betsy said, if you're looking for a hound as a pet, please consider a rescue basset!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would like to comment on taits bassets last year I visited there and although it was clean I know he had at least 75 puppies those poor moms looked like they were on there last leg he is very expensive in selling the puppies I think so anyway if you want a basset i am with the rest get one from rescue i am curious on how many litters these poor moms have I am sure everyone knows they are kept in a barn in pig stalls with sawdust yes it was clean but is it humane to do this

------------------
LORI- owned by Molly and Daisy

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMO I do not think it is humane to keep the puppies in "pigstall" type areas. Especially outside, I wouldn't dream of leaving my Roscoe outside for overnite moreless while he was a puppy. I agree with most on this that I donot think that Tait's is a reputable breeder, and I have seen their website and looks like a puppymill to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For anyone who has actually visited Tait's, you'll know that the dogs are certainly not kept outdoors or in pig stalls with slop buckets. The building is a renovated barn, and so stalls are used to keep litters apart, but they have whelping boxes, plenty of space, and a door to go outside to play and relieve themselves. This actually helps in the housetraining department, since they're already used to going outside. I've visited Tait's many times, and I have to say that the comment about them having 75 puppies at one time is a gross overestimation. I've never seen more than three litters at a time. In fact, I've been on a waiting list for my dog. This is the second dog my family has purchased from Mr. Tait; our Dash lived 13 happy, healthy years.
Mr. Tait knows his dogs, is always willing to give advice, and produces healthy dogs. It's absolutely not a puppymill.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It's always strange to me how they go so far back to get these posts. And will someone please tell me because I have seen her name before did Betsy Iole really join in 1969? Has this forum been on this long? Can't be.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts