Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lost from this forum for quite some time now, but for those who may remember from the pictures we still have our Copper (not that there is another option) and all is well... his skin and coat are great now his smelling and shedding have disappeared. In fact Copper is such a happy boy these days that he has developed another painful problem. He wags his tail so hard that he has injured the tip. I first noticed this about two months ago, I saw a minimal amount of blood painted across the wall way down low. It took me forever to figure out where it had come from until I was brushing Copper and noticed the end if his tail seemed swollen. He doesn't seem to be in any pain but maybe it's just because he's so well natured that he doesn't mind me touching even if it does hurt. It seemed to have healed although i have been still waiting for the slight swelling to go away. today we had company and he did it again. How can I get him to stop wagging ong enough to heal completely? has this happened to anyone else's dog? i feel so bad for him what can i do for him?
[attachmentid=60]
[attachmentid=59]

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have no advice but just wanted to say hello and that he is beautiful. I have a Copper too, who is the spoilest mama's boy.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
This is a difficult problem to deal with. I haven't heard of it in bassets, but I've seen it in other breeds. You need to try looking at ways to keep him quiet (perhaps crating) long enough for it to heal properly. Talk to the vet, although bandaging tails is very difficult. I've know dogs who had to have their tails amputated becuase they were continually splitting open the ends from banging them on things. I temporarily fostered a pit bull mix with this problem, he left blood on my walls going up and down the stairs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We haven't had the problem in a basset, but our first dog, a beagle mix, finally got to the point where we did have to amputate his tail. As has been suggested, crating seems to be the best option combined with a vet's care.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I once had a basset get a bloody tail from wagging it but this was because he was banging his wagging tail while in a metal crate when he wasn't in the ring at dog shows. It was the hitting against the metal that caused the bleeding. So I wouldn't recommnend a metal crate for a dog who is still going to wag his tail while crated. A plastic crate might work.

I've also seen dogs with bloody tails at a field trial from wagging their tail in dense brush. I'm sure Billy and Dean can speak to this subject in more detail as to treatment and prevention.

I would also have the dog examined by your veterinarian if you haven't already to see if there could be a cyst or growth that is making the tail more fragile.

Keep us posted and welcome back.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Duct Tape,not being a wise ass but some beaglers use this to stop their dogs tails from bleeding. you may end up having the dogs tail docked. i'm going through this with my beagle right now,he whips his tail when trailing in heavy brush and thorns.when we are done his tail is raw hamburger. Duct Tape can be a quick fix to the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts