Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sami is at it again. She had clostridium about 6 weeks ago- It cleared with antibiotics and the vet had us switch her to a sensitive formula feed. She has continued with occasional diarrhea- lasting less than 24 hours, eating grass, an occasional vomiting spell. This morning she started vomiting -mostly water and bile- She has not eaten today. At last count she has thrown up at least 11 times today. We just got back from the vet. He gave her a centrine shot for the vomiting and wants to watch her for 24 hours. He felt it more viral than anything but if it does not stop he will do blood work and xrays tomorrow. She has had 1 stool since being home today- small but firm with a bit of mucus. She had lost 6 pounds when they weighed her today. I don't know what to be watching for or what to even worry over- Does anyone know a good site to look up symptoms of colitis or obstruction? those are what come into my head but he said she really didn't seem symptomatic of either on physical exam. She was not dehydrated and does still drink water- just doesn't stay down long...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I don't think you can make a diagnosis of either based on symptoms alone. Vomiting can be from an obstruction as can diarrhea or constipation. I always insist on an abdominal x-ray when there's any possiblity there could be an obstruction and that includes vomiting. As in the case of poor Bogie, bassets are known to eat things other than their food.

Keep us posted on how Sami makes out at the vets today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts