Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 week old bassett "Colonel" has a swollen ear. It popped up out of no where and is really causing him pain. I can't even touch it to see if it's firm or squishy. It's mid ear and more toward the front. He can't get comfortable so I have him in bed with me so I can keep him from rolling over on it. I gave him a half dose of benadryl and I'm really concerned. He hasn't been scratching his ear or shaking his head or anything. We live in the country but he's never outside with out me right next to him. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 8 week old bassett "Colonel" has a swollen ear. It popped up out of no where and is really causing him pain. I can't even touch it to see if it's firm or squishy. It's mid ear and more toward the front. He can't get comfortable so I have him in bed with me so I can keep him from rolling over on it. I gave him a half dose of benadryl and I'm really concerned. He hasn't been scratching his ear or shaking his head or anything. We live in the country but he's never outside with out me right next to him. Any input would be appreciated.
Yes what Mikey T says...common with basset as they don't get ventilation to there ears as there large flappy ears cover the ear also they drag in floor and so prone to pick up various things basically I find you need to clean ears out pretty much every 2 or 3 days but be gentle as the cleaning can cause them irritation we also use an ear wash which you squeeze drops into which you can buy online.The lump hopefully is just from.him.shaking head due to maybe build up of wax..These kinds of lumps go away in Time but do leave a thicker bit left behind..its basicaly what boxers get ie cauliflower ear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts