Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just want to ask you if your bassets like swimming. I read that they really don't like to be in the water and they might drown but we took Droopy at the beach, where he swam and seemed to enjoy it very much. Do you have similar experiences?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Please be careful when letting dogs (or people for that matter ) swim in lakes and ponds because some type of algae such as blue green algae are extremely toxic and can be fatal.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The breed is notorious afraid to be wet,
probably because the wrinkles will use
long time to dry out, and they can easily
get fungus or wet rash if not dried properly.

When that's said, I've seen several pics
of swimming bassets, so some will do it.

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
535 Posts
My hounds hate bath time but they will walk in the water at the beach and have no problem going out in the rain. I wouldn't mind if they went out in the rain, hurried up and did their business but they want to take their time and then come in soaking wet, it doesn't bother them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bogie hasn't exactly gone swimming, but he has no issues going in puddles that are deeper than he is. Also after just a few hours of sitting on a beach (and a few hours of running away from the waves) he decided to let the water hit him, and as soon as he did he loved running around in the shallow water at the beach.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi,

My basset, Jasper Jones, loves water but will not go beyond his chest level. When he tried once, he swallowed the water and it scared him. I think that loose mouth isn't designed to stay closed when needed. He does love to wade around in ponds and puddles, streams, etc. He also loves a warm bath, he'll stand in the tub and let me wash him. I never saw a dog who takes so long to dry off though. That short hair is really thick.

Jasperspet (Colleen)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Couldn't get Francis into the water at gunpoint (provided he could even see the gun), the little darling would rather walk on hot coals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts