Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This must be my second saddest day of my life after my own father's passing about a year ago.

Some of you have been following closely the pain and suffering of Sussie, our little baby, which began shortly before Christmas.

She was operated of pyometra on Christmas Eve. All her reproductive organs had to be removed.

The operation, in itself, was a success. But blood toxicity complications threw us another uglier curveball, for her cardiovascular system suffered a huge impact. She fell ill with a nasty edema that did swell her jowls and neck, and made it difficult for her to move around.

We kept her under antibiotics, diuretics and whatnot to try remove the edema, always under the watchful eye of our vet, one of the most competent professionals in the country. However, the progress we were hoping for never came. The edema didn't recede, she became increasingly reluctant to eat until she was almost skin and bones, her heart was a train wreck, and she became but a shadow of what she once was. I suffered and cried in silence many nights fearing for the worst.

We took her to the vet for a check-up this evening. And the verdict was clear - there was nothing else to do. Her jowls would most likely explode from fluid accumulation in a short time, and that would bring yet another load of problems.

God knows we did everything we could in our hands to save her.

But it wasn't enough.

And so we realized, with lots of tears and sadness in our eyes, that the time to say goodbye had come. In a matter of minutes, the vet put our little baby out of her misery.

I kept petting her head all the time, comforting her in her last minutes.

I must say I am half devastated and half relieved as I write this. Sussie left a huge void in our hearts and souls, but I also know she's in a much better and colorful place now, where she isn't suffering anymore.

I'm not much into writing poems, but I think this would be a good time to try.

I knew you since you were a cute little pup
and it is amazing
how you start taking some things for granted
and all of a sudden
what once was it suddenly isn't anymore
just like that
maybe that's what life is all about
but how hard life lessons are to learn
sometimes

How could I ever forget
your endless barking when I got home from work
followed by the Basset 500
your sweet Aroos
your lots of unrequited love and understanding for us all
the many smiles you brought to our faces
the companion on hard times
and on better times too

How can't I miss you

You were so loved
you were so cared for
you were the closest thing to a daughter for me
but today
fate decided that enough was enough
you wanted to be free
as the wind
and so you were

I just hope that
the pain of your passing will give way
to the realization of your peace
You may have left us but not be forgotten
for you will always live in our hearts
until we meet again

Thank you all for your support and friendship over the web through all these years.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I know the pain you feel. 1 1/2 years ago, I had to make the same decision when my Sadie was suffering from cancer. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but at the same time, I knew it was right. I truly believe Sussie is in a place free from pain, with friends all around her. Take Care.
Amy

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Sussie. We had to put one of our dogs to sleep just this past November. I had never been through anything like that before and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I'm sorry for the pain that you are feeling right now.

Sussie was beautiful. I know you will miss her, but the pain will get better and eventually you will be able to think about her and smile at the good memories.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm very sorry. she was a beautiful dog.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We are sorry to learn your sad news. Sussie was a very beautiful girl.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Sussie. She was a beautiful girl. I thought your poem was wonderful and it brought tears to my eyes. In time I hope you will find comfort in your many memories of Sussie.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I am so sorry that Sussie made her trip to the Bridge. I know she has left a huge hole in your life & heart. I am happy, though, that she is no longer suffering.

Lots of healing drool being sent your way & we will light a candle for Sussie.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh, Beto,
My heart goes out to you and your family at this sad time. I, too, know what you have been through after having to send our beloved, Bubba, to the rainbow bridge when he was seven due to lymphoma cancer in December of 2005. You did your very best for Sussie, and she knew she was loved. Just hang on to those wonderful memories, and know that she will always live in your heart. Your poem and tribute to her were beautiful. She was a very lucky Basset to have shared her life with such a special person and family.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Your poem is such a beautiful tribute to Sussie-

I've been watching for updates and hoping for the best. I'm so sorry it turned out this way.Sometimes no matter how hard we try, it's not enough.

She was a lucky girl to be so loved and cared for in her final days, and in the end she had you with her.

I feel so sad for you right now. Sincere condolence to you and your family.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear that you lost Sussie. My thoughts are with you and your family. :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am so sorry to read about Sussie and know many thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

Your tribute was wonderful and so heart felt and brought tears to my eyes. You two truly loved each other I can tell in your words.

Take care and keep all the wonderful memories in your heart forever!

Kathy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im sorry to hear about Sussie. Just last night I was looking at her picture on the health page and wondering how she was doing. She was a beautiful girl. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The poem, as I am sobbing trying to read, was a great tribute to her life.

Michelle

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to hear of the news of your basset passing. Remember the memories you had through out the years.

There is one best place to bury a good dog. If you bury her in this spot, she will come to you when you call - come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel, they shall not growl at her nor resent her coming, for she belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by her footfall, who hear no whimper: people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing. The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of her master."

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I posted in the other forum too, but I want to add that your poem was great. I of course cried like I always do when a dog on here passes. I am so sorry for you and your family. Sussie was very loved.

~Heather

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. I only recently learned of this poem. Truer words were never written.

-- Art

The Power of the Dog

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie--
Perfect passsion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart to a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find--it's your own affair--
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-term loan is as bad as a long--
So why in--Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Rudyard Kipling

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am so, so sorry to hear about Sussie! I was so hoping everything would resolve. My condolences.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts