Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penny our Staffie had surgery today to remove a mass from her right hind leg. She did well throughout and ended up with an incision about 7 inches long. My husband had to carry her in the house because she couldn't walk due to the meds. The boys, Buddy and Noonie gave her a good sniffin' and I'm sure were speculating as to what it was she had tangled with. :unsure: We fixed her a bed in the floor of our room and shut the door so the boys will leave her alone. She's still pretty doped up and wobbly, but ate (so far keeping it down) and took her pain pill. Poor girl is crying a bit right now and looking especially pitiful peering out from the cone around her head. :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Poor little sweetie. Hope she is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Penny has been doing well. Once the meds wore off she was back to her playful self. No problems with her stiches and she only bled a little due to normal Penny activity. Unfortunately the vet called me today and said upon getting the results back from the lab that they did not get all of it. Thursday she goes back for a second surgery. My poor girl! After this next trip she'll never want to go anywhere with me again.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Poor Penny! I am really sorry that she has to go through another surgery. I hope it goes well and that they get all of it this time.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Wishing Penny the best!!! I hope the second surgery goes well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel so bad to put her through this again, but it's worth it to ensure they get it all. She's been healing so well. I just hope she does good this time around. Below is a pic of Penny and her brother Buddy.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Penny is doing okay, considering all she has been through. This incision was much worse than the last. She actually ended up with second incision on the inside of her knee on the opposite leg, as I found another growth that was on the surface this time. She's been taking tranquilizers to keep her from being too active and they sure do the job. She's also been on pain meds. She's been bleeding off and on, but her stitches are fine. I may take her in within the next day or so to see if the vet thinks she's healing as she should.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The big incision on her hip loosened up a lot, so much so they had to restitch it. They redid the one on the inside of her knee too adding another incision to try to give her more flexibility to the area. Poor girl ended up with an infection on top of everything else and is on antibiotics now. Still keeping her sedated and as quite as possible. I can tell she's feeling better though. She has a nice comfy bed made in the floor of our room, although she would much rather be in bed with us. At night I lay in the floor with her until she goes to sleep. More than once she's gotten up and started pulling on our covers and crying for people bed. Yes, she is terribly spoiled. The good news in all of this is her labs came back clean this time around. Now it's just a matter of waiting for her to heal.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I hope Penny heals quickly. Get well, sweet girl. Sending lots of healing drool your way.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Penny is getting around so much better. The last couple of days I've let her handle the stairs by herself--slowly, as opposed to having dad carry her. Not as worried now about her tearing her stitches, but still need to keep her settled down. It's been a long road and we don't need anything to set her back. Here are a couple of pics of my girl. Keep in mind she's looking great compared to what she did look like.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

1 - 17 of 17 Posts