Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I just see if any of you Basset owners can help with my dilemma please? My elderly Basset is now 15 years and 4 months old she had a large cancerous skin tumour removed from her left side successfully around two years ago, however she has developed a second one on her left side as well ( around 2’’diameter) which is now worse than the first and is ulcerated and has had recurring infections. It doesn’t seem to bother her at all but she scratches it from time to time and has to wear a shirt to stop this. It also smells really bad (due to the infections I think) . My question is relating to surgery my vet has offered to operate and remove it but should I put my 15 yr old gal through it? I am taking her back to the vets tomorrow and would appreciate any one else’s opinion. She has lost a bit of weight but gets around ok and is eating and drinking normally I suspect she has a bit of doggy dementia and does tend to be unsettled on an evening for an hour or two. Thanks so much

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
I had one live well past 17. IMHO the inconvenience of surgery and recovery for 2 weeks has less impact on quality of life for the dog than living with the tumor does, I would remove it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
These are always difficult decisions, but from everything I read in the original post, I wouldn't hesitate to proceed with the operation. It sounds fairly straight forward and not complex.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both for replying I have now booked her in for surgery on Friday and she is on a course of antibiotics pre -op. The vet seemed pretty positive about her as she is generally pretty well day to day - I will update you on progress !

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Thanks to both for replying I have now booked her in for surgery on Friday and she is on a course of antibiotics pre -op. The vet seemed pretty positive about her as she is generally pretty well day to day - I will update you on progress !
This is something that I'd have to give a lot of thought to before going ahead, given her age. However, if your vet is prepared to operate and you trust him (he's not just after income!), so be it. But do make sure you have all the pre-surgery tests done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to say that my girl made it through with no problems ! And is surprisingly full of energy post surgery and has eaten well however I will hold off judgement until we get over the next few days ! Thanks for the advice everyone!

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Great news!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts