Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone here uses a supplement (like Omega 3) for healthy skin/coat. Twinkie has been having a problem with dry, flaky skin lately and I was wondering what others use. Was actually looking at Sam's Club the other day at the "people" formulations, with the lowest mg being 1000. Thought that might be too much for a dog. She's a beagle/basset mix, so she's smaller than the average bassey ... 33 lbs last vet visit. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Janet 'n Twink

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Our vet has something called Skin Tabs which is the Omega 3 oils- I have also had recommended to try things like tuna or salmon supplemented into the diet- I haven't tried yet (we aren't a fish loving family) but plan to see if it helps. I have been told that Petsmart (and I'm sure others) has brands that contain the same but less expensive. I know you can buy feed with it already added in but don't see how that can be very helpful. From all I've read the only negative is the possibility of weight gain... but my Jake is kind of scrawny (he's really perfect :) ) so I plan to substitute it for a treat when I give-

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Foster's & Smith catalog has a large selection. Right now I'm trying to find a shampoo with conditioner, that smells good too!
Joan

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
i use Barleeann's high lignan flaxseed oil. although i give it to her for dysplasia and arthritis, i must say, Lady has a positively luxuriant coat and nice skin!

i also take it :D and must admit, my skin looks pretty good! although that's probably more a result of heat and very high humidity. :wink:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Twinkie has been having a problem with dry, flaky skin lately
while the right omega 6 and 3 balance can help the coat actual trying to achieve the balance by supplimentation is risky. It is better to ge a premium food where omega 6 and 3 are already optimized.

Dry flacky skin maybe cause by an actual disease such as seborrhea Supplementing with omega 3 could actual make matters worse. Best to rule out a medical cause for the condition before assuming it is nutritional.

·
Registered
939 Posts
sardines,packed in oil, one whole sardine filet a day, or a quality food with the omega 6,3 in it,you could also find a food that has flaxseed already in plus the omega. Do check to make sure it is not seborrhea if this continues.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's been eating Solid Gold's Wolf King food which is made with salmon and bison. Although it doesn't have the Omega 3 oils added, shouldn't she be getting some benefit from the salmon meal? I've listed the ingredients below ... I note it does have the flaxseed oil.

Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Protein, Min 22%
Fat, Min 9%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 364

I like the idea of a sardine. I think she might really enjoy that. I was supplementing at one time with Linotone oil sprinkled on her food and the problem went away, so I'm pretty sure its not seborreah. Also she is much more dry and not greasy, although the symptoms say she could be either. Thanks for the input!

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
939 Posts
if you was me i may want to try a food with a higher fat content,this may help out with the skin problem,MAY HELP. i would try a 26% protein 18% fat. unless this is a special diet your dog is on for some reason. i do not tell people what to feed and i don't like to pump any dog food after the Diamond problem, but Purina makes some good feeds that maybe a little easier on your wallet also. try the Pro Plan 26/18 chicken formula. i have switched from the Buckeye feed i was using because they would not sponser any of are field events( a good fed but they ain't helping the sportsmen). i am using now Pro Plan Performance 30/20,and even though there is corn in it the dogs are digesting it better than the Buckeye and i'm feeding less food. my dogs are active field dogs and i feed them what it says by weight( ex. dog weighs X fed 1 1/2-2 cups per day,i feed 1 3/4 cups) they are holding their weight good and not run down looking. Purina also sponsers the Basset Hound field trials and gives money to the CHF( i think that's what it's called) for canine health research,so since they support The BHCA and my field trials,i support them!!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by pinehawk
Purina also sponsers the Basset Hound field trials and gives money to the CHF( i think that's what it's called) for canine health research,so since they support The BHCA and my field trials,i support them!!
Moi aussi. ;) My dogs do well on their products; I wouldn't feed a product the dogs didn't do well on. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts