Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought and read Nicholas Dodman's "Good Old Dog" and I can not recommend it enough. Lots and lots of common sense insight and advice and encouragement.
This book is on my gift list for friends of mine with old dogs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the book suggestion I'm going to call books a million today. I have a 13 year old basset hound and he is the love of my life save for a few non furries. I worry about my Mr Bogie because its obvious he is having a more difficult time getting his aches and pains worked out early in the morning, and he has prostate enlargement problems (I did not have him fixed like a dummy, he was an exclusively inside dog but I did not know the health problems were more numerous for an intact dog. I think he has a bit of author, and other than his anal sacs becoming full now and again he is in remarkable health for his age.

rev slobber

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I need this. Thanks for the recommendation.
If your avatar is your pup he is a lovely old fella or girl! People should be so lucky to age as well as bassets ~

R Slobber

ps my avatar pic is about three and a half years old, here is a more recent one (but not too much, it was shot in Dec of 08!) with Mr. Bogie Wuggs sleepin on my Tenn shoe. Oh I am the photographer but I use that (Greg Dubois) ghost name, copyrighted, for obvious security reasons.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I bought it also, and love it. In fact, I thought I'd left it on a plane, so I ordered a second. Found the first, am going to donate the second to our local obedience club's raffle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you! (like I had anything to do with his looks) Bogie is beautiful. I love the older ones.

Your baby/friend looks so wise and dignified; I can see it in his/her eyes (sorry for all the slashes!) Yes, the older dog is like an older person eh? They have their quirks but I would rather spend my time with them than an adolescent, well most of the time! Not that I don’t like kids, its just that I have more in common with an older dog because I am no spring chicken I suppose!

To change the subject a bit, I have heard that many basset pups are aggressive; maybe it is an old wives tale? I hope to befriend/adopt a partner for Bogie when financial conditions improve. His other bud (a pound rescue) died after she got out of the fenced in yard and got into some antifreeze a year ago. Anyway thanks to all, this is a fantastic forum.

Oh shallhb I was wondering do you take your dogs (they make a striking pair!) with you on your trips? I find that I am so attached to Bogie that I work around having to leave him unless its absolutely unavoidable because I am a single parent (of bogie ha ha).

rs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts