Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my puppy got a sunburn on her head today. It feels warm and pretty pink. I decided to look up what I can do to prevent this happening again. Many sites say to put baby sunscreen on the non furred areas.

Does any one know what would happen if I put this on the fur area? Or have a suggestion? She is not going to go for a hat as much as I wish she would, a lot easier. She loves her walks and explore time in the backyard, I don't want to coop her up all day she will go nuts as well as everyone in the house haha

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Dog Sunscreen - FDA Approved

Here is a link to a good product that does not contain zinc which is toxic to dogs - because zinc toxicity is a problem for dogs, you shouln't use a human product on your hound.

Murray has discoid lupus - sun exposure sometimes causes lesions to form on his nose. There is no way I can stop him from licking sunscreen off his nose, so I made a little 'nose hat' for him when he's having a bout of lupus and wants to sunbathe in the yard. It's a piece of cloth that lies over his nose and is tied around his neck and under his chin. He gives me dirty looks when I put it on him, but he tolerates it.

Google 'hats for dogs' and you might find something she'll wear at least when you're supervising her.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
because zinc toxicity is a problem for dogs
Zinc toxicity is a problem for all animal including humans bur humans don;t have a tenendecy to lick sunscreen off their bodies so the don't ingest it.

hair is a go uv block so sun screen is not ussually necessary in furred areas unless the hair is sparse. The question is the are sunburn or did her head simply get warm and the area pinke because the capilaries open up to help cool the area. The proof is what the area looks like after she cools down. You will often seen dogs laying belly up in the sun with bright red or pink bellys it is not because they are sun burn but the increasesed blood fow as soon as the cool down the color return to normal. The same thing can happen as well from exercise. It is one of the ways dogs cool themselves as they really don't sweat much.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
When I lived in Florida, and spent entire weekends at the little league field, mine always wore hats. He also had his own chair so he didn't have to sit on the hot concrete. It's also possible that he may have had his own umbrella on the chair. I'm not saying that he was spoiled, exactly, but there always seemed to be lots of hotdogs that accidentally got dropped in the concession stand that he was allowed to take care of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I felt it about 11pm last night after her last round of play. I even checked this morning after her exiting her crate and it still seemed warm. She is pretty thinned coat, but she is about 4 months so I'm sure it's just puppy fur. Anyways her head fur is very thin, I can see the pink from 5 feet away even without a burn, but now its really really pink.
I used to use baby lotion on my dairy cattle after we clipped them for show so they wouldn't burn, but I think their stomachs are stronger.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
When I lived in Florida, and spent entire weekends at the little league field, mine always wore hats. He also had his own chair so he didn't have to sit on the hot concrete. It's also possible that he may have had his own umbrella on the chair. I'm not saying that he was spoiled, exactly, but there always seemed to be lots of hotdogs that accidentally got dropped in the concession stand that he was allowed to take care of.
lol!! i am just picturing this-- do you have photos of this?
and seriously, i did wonder if sometimes the concrete & asphalt gets quite hot for them to walk on...

btw, a lady who lost a basset a month ago and was very, very sad, was very excited to see Worm. she gave him her basset's cap. it's really nice and does lift the ears up a bit (it's made for dogs). so thoughtful of her. i invited her to come on this forum if she wants and post some pics of her basset, too....

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
it still seemed warm.
Not sure how your checking but the human internal temp 98. dogs depending on individual 100-102 so checking like a human they would always appear warm and have a temperature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts