Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
George has always been a couch hound and in fact, we figure the couch just belongs to him. However, this summer he hasn't been on the couch more than once or twice, preferring the floor or his doggie bed. Suddenly a couple of days ago he claimed Hubby's favorite chair and spends much time in it. Could that be a result of cooler weather recently or is he just trying to puzzle me? :lol:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It could be that it is cooler or it could be that he wants a change. 8) Or perhaps, like with our Moe, he is slowly training YOU. :wink:

When we adopted Moe, HE in turn, adopted our loveseat, despite all our efforts to discourage him from using it. Finally, we gave in, jokingly refering to the loveseat as "Moe's bed". After a while, he decided that my husband's Lazyboy was the best place to sleep. He got very devious about tricking my husband out of it just so he could hop onto it. 8) Once, after staring for a while at my husband as he was sitting in the chair, Moe went to the door as if to go out. My husband got up to open the door for him, and quick as a wink, Moe ran over and jumped into the chair, where he quickly curled up for a snooze. I laughed like heck and my husband, realizing that he'd been had, settled onto the loveseat. :lol: Eventually we adjusted. (Note the way he was slowly training us :wink: ). Then, for a year or so, he decided my son's bed was going to be his preferred place to sleep. Then it was on to the couch for few years. And there he stayed until an extended bout of infection resulting in his wearing the e-collar caused him to FINALLY sleep on his very own dog bed, which previously had been gathering dust in the attic for years. I brought it downstairs when the e-collar made it very difficult for him to jump up (his collar got caught each time he tried). I covered his dog bed with a cute paw-covered dog-blanket and he got so used to using the bed that when the collar came off, he continued to use it. But if I ever remove the blanket for washing, he WILL NOT go on his bed until I put the blanket back on. :roll: On occasion, when it's very hot, he will sleep on the tile floor of the bathrooms or the kitchen.

Sometimes I wonder if the changeover to his dog bed, while begun out of neccessity, became more of a comfort issue for an older dog...

Terry :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, it's no joke around here to refer to the couch as "George's bed." It IS his bed. Normally, anyway. He also has a favorite rug and if I dare try to wash it, he is a VERY unhappy boy until it's returned to its proper place. Last time I washed it, when I came back with it, he literally took it out of my hand and busily arranged it himself. That's also the LAST time it was washed. Now I just sweep it occasionally, and he always watches me closely while I do that to make sure I don't plan to run off with it again. "Slowly" training us? No. If it's slow, it's only because we're too dunderheaded to learn more quickly. Hubby used to roll his eyes when I referred to George as our "furbaby." Yesterday he was inquiring of George why he was being naughty and called him "child o' mine." LOL There's a very good reason that a friend of mine calls him "King George."

·
Registered
465 Posts
King George

There is a county called King George two counties over from ours. Must be named after him. 8) 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts