Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basset hound who is a little over a year. He has been potty trained for several months. (Literally, zero accidents in the house and did wonderfully going to the door when he needed out). Until recently. He is recently only going to the doe sometimes. Other times he is going pee in the house. This is very sudden as he hasn’t done this, like I said, in several months. He isn’t going in the same spot every time. He isn’t going in his crate when I am gone at work (which is what leads me to believe that it is not a health concern). He has plenty of attention, sleeps with us, and is with us always unless I am at work. There have been no new people, pets, or other changes in our home that I would think prompted this. He’s still so young. I’m at my wits end :( what do I do?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Could it be that he's now reacting to being left on his own for long hours - for how long do you leave him? Bassets are not stupid despite what others say and I have known them to 'wring out' what they can (usually to do with poohs rather than urination) in protest.

The other thing is I note you are waiting for him to ask re going out. Turn this round, and you dictate when he goes out - if he's a year now, he should be able to hold for up to 4 hours. If he's doing this when you are home - it's especially relevant that YOU dictate when he goes out, rather than waiting for him to ask.

You need to break the habit of emptying ANYWHERE indoors. Obviously!

·
Registered
1 Posts
He’s still so young. I’m at my wits end :( what do I do?
We had this with our nearly 2yr old and turned out to be crystals forming in his bladder from a pH imbalance. Effectively his food was too alkaline and we had to switch up to something that balanced him out.

He'd wake up and not be able to hold it long enough to tell us he needed to go out. Luckily it was really easy to diagnose, the vet just took a urine sample and we found out the results the next day. Worth exploring as it can lead to bladder stones if left untreated...not to mention ruined carpets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a basset hound who is a little over a year. He has been potty trained for several months. (Literally, zero accidents in the house and did wonderfully going to the door when he needed out). Until recently. He is recently only going to the doe sometimes. Other times he is going pee in the house. This is very sudden as he hasn’t done this, like I said, in several months. He isn’t going in the same spot every time. He isn’t going in his crate when I am gone at work (which is what leads me to believe that it is not a health concern). He has plenty of attention, sleeps with us, and is with us always unless I am at work. There have been no new people, pets, or other changes in our home that I would think prompted this. He’s still so young. I’m at my wits end :( what do I do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had this with our nearly 2yr old and turned out to be crystals forming in his bladder from a pH imbalance. Effectively his food was too alkaline and we had to switch up to something that balanced him out.

He'd wake up and not be able to hold it long enough to tell us he needed to go out. Luckily it was really easy to diagnose, the vet just took a urine sample and we found out the results the next day. Worth exploring as it can lead to bladder stones if left untreated...not to mention ruined carpets.
Do you think if it was medical he would be going in his crate during the day? He isn’t. I’m not sure if that’s relevant or not

1 - 7 of 7 Posts