Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Is 63 pounds normal for a one year neutered male? I guess so because the vet didn't say anything but goodness he's huge馃ぃ
Also, he has pano. Was given a pain medicine for a week but is there anything else I can do to help or to prevent future occurrences?

Registered
Pano, or Panosteitis is a disease that some dogs, including Bassets, will develop from around 8 months of age. Called the creeping disease, it rotates between various legs until it eventually just goes. It can be controlled with pain relief (it's very painful) and often buffered aspirin is used. Once it goes, it goes so there should be no 'future occurrence'.

My Basset ended up being around 35 kg (you do the maths) and he was a big boy, but thankfully, Pano isn't something he suffered from although he did show some lameness at around the time it can strike. He had full top to tail x-ray but no Pano was seen, just premature closure of the growth plate, radius/ulna.

As for whether your boy is fat or just with a well-sprung rib cage - even if you can't see the ribs, you should be able to feel them. Neutered males do tend to put on weight (my two oldies who had to be castrated did and I had to constantly watch that with them).

Our first two Bassets, who were NOT of the so-called 'European' bloodlines - pure British - weighed in as adults at around 80 - 90 lbs. Most male Bassets (who haven't been castrated at a young age) can take up to age 2 years before being fully bodied up, with the females slightly earlier.

Below is a photo of Frankie, at 4 months when he first came to us.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts