Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally found a rescue that could take our cat-eating foster dog. Which will leave our Barney alone when we are not home. I would love to have another basset, but my husband, who wanted Barney in the first place, does not want another basset (or any other hound) because of the barking/whining.

We had to rehome our Thelma Lou because the foster dog was becoming aggressive with her. But as much as he loved her, Thelma Lou was more vocal than Barney and an escape artist as well.

So, no more basset buddies while we live "in town." I am probably going to let Barney be an "only dog" for quite a while due to a family tragedy. We simply cannot take on another dog right now. In the meantime I want Barney to be able to roam around the property with us while we are outdoors. I hoped to use a short visual barrier (probably a vinyl garden fence) along with the invisible fence wire system we brought from our old house. When we take Barney out to our creek lot, he stays very close. He's all about getting some attention, so I'm hoping he does well with staying put. He will be contained in a very large 6ft fence enclosure the rest of the time.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Provided you are supervising the dog this should not be a problem but then again if you are supervising you don't need either fence.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
does not want another basset (or any other hound) because of the barking/whining
suggest a sheltie from the quite herding group. hmmm leads all other breeds in debarking surgery hmmm

IMHO see the other so called quite working dog at work lab, collies, etc hounds get a bad bad rap for barking they are no worse or no better then the average of the other breeds.

·
Registered
972 Posts
sounds like you really shouldn't have a dog at all, if you're not prepared for noises. Looks like you're getting rid of a lot of them for some reason or another. You're probably right to wait until you have a better living situation to get any dog.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Depends on the dog. I've had some that it would have worked for, and I've had some that a Gestapo electrified fence wouldn't have stopped.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
What is an invisible wire fence system please?
a containment system first devised for development in the US which do not allow by way of deed restriction containment fences and now used because it is cheaper or less unslightly than traditional fence but it has many drawback as well

It it consits of a transmiting slight barried wire around the perimiter the dog is to be contained in. The dog or Dog(s) wear a collar that when approaching the burried wire on the perimiter first emits a audiable warning and the when approached closer produce an electric shock. Whether the shock is enough to deter the dog is highly variable, the invisible fence does nothing to protect the pets contained in side. and the electronic shock is associate with a whole host of potential problems as well.,

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly and Winston's basset mom and dad had a fence like that. I guess it worked. Breeder said the system would fry when it got struck by lightning and they'd have to fix/replace it. That stinks, as they have a ton of bad storms in central PA.

I'd never trust one...Winston would ignore the pain, I am sure, especially if the reward was good enough (people, other dogs, bunnies).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts