Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone knows of a good, sturdy crate that can fold up and travel easily. We have a foldable mesh crate for Stanley but as he gets bigger it's become less of a crate and more of a toy for him. When we bring him to my in law's house he usually ends up about 10 feet from where we leave him. At first we thought it was funny, he was like a hamster inside a ball... but now I'm getting worried because I don't want him to roll into something and have it fall on him or break. I've looked on the internet at heavy duty crates that fold up, but it seems most of them are very expensive. The Orvis ones in particular look great but are upwards of $200. Does anyone have a brand or style they use? I'm looking to spend around $100, preferrably less.

I think the one we use now was like $20 at Target so I shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't keep him in place.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
If the soft crate gets moved around it is often because it is too big for the dog. In order for the dog not to be able to move it must not be able to gets its center of gravity past the outer limits to fllip the crate over. I havd this problem with a beagle in which we could not get a crate small enough but not a basset. Most of the metal folding crates are so heavy they really are not portable. For a couple of dogs in which a soft crate is not containment (they would chew. rip or otherwise destroy it) I found Nylabones Medium size folding plastic crate a good alternative. But it appears to be discountinued

Star makes a folding plastic crate but I have not used it. Star Plastic Folding Dog Crate

I am wondering if anyone knows of a good, sturdy crate that can fold up and travel easily. We have a foldable mesh crate for Stanley but as he gets bigger it's become less of a crate and more of a toy for him. When we bring him to my in law's house he usually ends up about 10 feet from where we leave him. At first we thought it was funny, he was like a hamster inside a ball... but now I'm getting worried because I don't want him to roll into something and have it fall on him or break. I've looked on the internet at heavy duty crates that fold up, but it seems most of them are very expensive. The Orvis ones in particular look great but are upwards of $200. Does anyone have a brand or style they use? I'm looking to spend around $100, preferrably less.

I think the one we use now was like $20 at Target so I shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't keep him in place.[/b]

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
If you are looking for a replacement soft crate check out Clean Run they do extensive testing of products sold.

from Day Tripper Single-Door Soft-Sided Dog Crates
"The Day Tripper's reinforced flat-top design allows you to put lightweight items on the top of the crate without the risk of collapse. The crate has a varnished wood floor with a removable, double-sided, ultra-soft synthetic sheepskin cover that's machine washable. Sewn-in loops on the bottom of the crate for ground stakes (not included). "

1 - 4 of 4 Posts