Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to think we and the people across the street are the only responsible dog families in this whole neighborhood.

Today I walked George by himself, planning to come back for Gigi and take her by herself (Hubby's gone today and you do NOT want to walk a basset and a Lab together by yourself). So off we go and halfway we approach this house with a dog in the front yard, no tether, no fence, no nothing and a yard full of people just sitting there gabbing. I couldn't get their attention and didn't want to go too close with the dog untethered. Finally one of them looked my way. I said, far more politely than I wanted to, "Would one of you hold your dog until we get by?" They all turned then and looked at me and George as if we'd each grown unicorn horns. Then one man said, "Oh, don't worry about it. He won't come out there. I guarantee it."

Sigh. You "guarantee" it. Right. I heard that before, when the man with the untethered pit bull assured me, a heartbeat before his dog ATTACKED mine that "I guarantee he won't bother you." So I told the man, still polite but a bit less so, "I'm sorry, but the last time someone told me that we had a dog fight on our hands. PLEASE hold your dog." He insisted his dog would NOT come out in the street that "he's a big chicken." I had no choice but to go on or turn back and George is stubborn as hell about turning back so we went on. AND of course, that dog took one look at George and here he came at full speed. Granted, he was a smallish Springer Spaniel or some such breed, and I don't think he wanted to fight. His tail was up and wagging. However, George, after having been attacked once already, is on the defensive and would have fought. So I scooped him up to carry him and one of the women finally grabbed Charlie (who had not come when they said "come back here, Charlie") and held onto him and I finally got George down the street but I had a terrible time convincing him to keep going. I complained to George for two blocks afterward about irresponsible, stupid, stubborn idiots who make me and my leashed, licensed and much-loved dog suffer for their moronic behavior. I ought to be able to walk my dog around the neighborhood on his leash without worrying about loose, uncontrolled, uncared-for other dogs jumping on him, chasing us, or otherwise bothering us. I was still fuming when we got home.

Then I took Gigi out, and at her size and strength, I figured the chances of somebody not bothering to contain their dog were probably a lot less. However, we didn't go down that street again and we didn't encounter any problem but a dog chained in a front yard to a chain that I doubted would hold him, but it did. And there's another thing -- most of the dogs who are contained around here are chained to short chains with inadequate food, shelter and attention, but that's a whole different rant. :angry:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I know where you are coming from. Several years ago while walking on my street, Spencer was jumped by an unleased dog whose owner was in the yard, swearing nothing would happen, despite my requests to restrain his dog. Well, of course it happened. They got into a pretty good scuffle. When the dust settled, Spencer was physically unhurt, but has never been the same around other dogs. He was always a dog I could take into the neighborhood or to the park & he could sniff & greet other dogs with no problem. Ever since the incident with the neighbor dog, he is very aggressive towards other dogs. It made me so mad. These same stupid people still act surprised when they see Spencer growl at other dogs now. Stupid people scare me!

·
Registered
183 Posts
<_< We have the same problem! It drives us crazy - people either don't leash their dogs or don't pick up after them. We have been assaulted no less than 10 times while walking the dogs. My husband now carries a big walking stick. Each time we were told "oh, they're harmless". Then they jumped all over my two and I had to fight them off. One guy had two big Huskies who actually pulled him off of his bike to get at my two.

It's to the point where we are having to resocialize Luther and Sammy. They have developed a fear of strange people and dogs (including other Bassets) which is so distressing. We are basically starting from scratch to help them get beyond this. All because other people are soooo sure their dogs will exactly what they tell them. :angry:

Mine are timid but I would never allow them to be unleashed and out of my control. I can't predict what might set them off and if they were frightened I don't know that I could control them. Just not willing to take the chance - for their sake and others!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Suzanne, I like the walking stick idea. I started carrying my mace when I walk, and have made it clear to the stupid neighbors that I have it & intend to use it if necessary. In reality though, I'd be afraid to use it for fear of macing Spencer if he is scuffling with another dog. I think I might get me a walking stick!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This aggressiveness toward other dogs -- which I realize is really fear on George's part -- is why I was so sure he wouldn't accept Gigi or any other dog and why I was so surprised he did. And tonight they've been playing together quite nicely without either of them getting angry or too rambunctious, which is really a relief for me. I thought George was sort of regretting having asked for a sister :D .

But before the incident with the pit bull a few months ago, George loved everybody he met who wasn't a cat :p and was quite willing to sniff butts and touch noses with other dogs, no problem. Since then, every dog is a potential threat and it's all thanks to stupid people. My mother says stupidity ought to be against the law and I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Try living in a small town with NO leash laws. My gripe isn't with walking my two, it's everyone elses dog that runs through my yard, causing mine to bark. Plus getting pee spots in my grass out front.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I also live in a small town with no lease laws and couldn't agree more. I am trying to get Patty and Dolly walking nicely on a lease but it is extremely difficult with other peoples dogs getting in the mix and getting everyone riled up.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I imagine living where there's no leash law is about the same as living where there IS one but no one bothers to obey it. So the law makers are as bad as the law breakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts