Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a curious question than a help-needed question, as we've become the masters of catching him in the act. Do you give your basset stuffed toys and if they destroy them, do they eat the innards? Fergus hasn't met a toy yet that he couldn't take down to its bits and pieces, only problem is he eats the bits and pieces. This leads to lots of fun for mom and dad when it's time to go number two (let's just say we have lots of disposable gloves handy).

We've put a ban on all stuffed toys now to keep this from happening any more.

But I was curious if your basset actually eats the toys or just destroys them?

·
Registered
761 Posts
We used to give Doppler ropes to play with. He was a master at getting them untied and he'd eat pieces. He'd poop just fine so we weren't too worried about it. One day though, he started retching and eventually threw up. Guess what comprised about 2/3s of his vomit! That's right! His rope toy. The rest of it was food so we picked the rope up from the mess and let him get to work cleaning it up (we cleaned up with soap and water after he was done of course!). That was the day we decided to ban rope toys. And stuffed toys have never been allowed. We know what would happen with them and to them. We also try to not get squeaky toys because it would drive us nuts but we've got a couple and they aren't too obnoxious. So they pretty much have just a ton of balls, Kongs, and Nylabones with a few Milkbone rubber squeaky toys as well. Nothing fabric if we can help it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Porter rarely care for toys and we have plenty of them. He would chew on them once in a blue moon but most of the time he just leaves them alone. He likes to sleep in his bed or sit in the kitchen waiting to be fed.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly loves her stuffed toys. She destroys some, but not all. Luckily, she doesn't eat the stuffing, just leaves it all over the living room floor. I only intervene to retrieve the squeaker. She's left with an unstuffed toy that she still finds fun. Whatever makes her happy :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My Vinny cannot wait to rip out the insides of a new stuffed toy. Fortunately ,he does not eat the innerds.He does not get stuffed toys now since he will rip them up.What you need to becareful of is if the inside stuffing is being eated it could cause a bowel obstruction in which case surgery would be warrented.I would not allow anymore stuffed toys.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My basset steals stuffed toys from my daughters room...but he hides them in his bed and crate space...he plays with them but has yet to chew them up....his big thing to shred is paper towels and toilet paper that he has recently figured out how to take of the roll.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ella loves to tear up stuffed animals but she doesn't eat it, well not that I've seen. Once she gets all the stuffing out I just pick it up and sometimes I sew the stuffing back into the animal if there is only one hole otherwise I just toss it

·
Registered
12,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm not sure how removing the stuffed toys would do more harm than good especially if the stuffing ,eyes,and any other decorations on the toy are being consumed.They could turn to being destructive but usually if there are other things they can play with or chew they will turn their attention to those things.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer destroys stuffed toys so he can pull out the squeaker. He then just holds it between his teeth and sits and squeaks it. It's a funny sight, but I don't let him do it for long as I don't want him to swallow it and become a giant squeaky toy himself.

There are some good heavy duty dog toys out there; I found some at PetSmart over the weekend.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I'm not sure how removing the stuffed toys would do more harm than good especially if the stuffing ,eyes,and any other decorations on the toy are being consumed
because stuffing makes the seams more vunerable to being riped open . The nonstuffed toy can be made of tougher materials and workman ship so the are much more immune to such attack. but it is clear there in no such thing as an industructable dog toy.

if there are other things they can play with or chew they will turn their attention to those things
It is my obeservation that dogs have a preferred prefference for certain texures, hardness, elasticity etc of chew toys. And if a toy falls out of this range it is not going to be used. A dog tha prefers plush toys is not going to take solice in a plastic nylabone or vice versa. The closer you can find an toy that is chew appropriate for an individual dog that matches it preferred chey toy profile the more it is going to be used and the less distructive the dog will be to inappropriate items.

For example a dog has a penchant for chewing on wooden moldings furniture legs etc. Finding an appropriate wooden chew is going to be more effective than a hard plastic chew toy or a soft plush toy. Sometime you can get away with a resiliant ruber toy like a kong because they have somewhat simlar mouth/chew feel but even that is iffy.
there are other things they can play with or chew they will turn their attention to those things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ace loves playing with his elephant that I got for him. He was actually running around the house last night and jumped on the bed flinging his toy around everywhere. He has so many, but seems to only play with a few of them. He is really good about not ripping any of the toys apart. I think he has actually only ripped one toy and once it ripped, he didn't want anything to do with it anymore.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the insight! I don't know if he has a favorite texture- I'm not kidding, this dog will eat anything. He loves it all, so I don't think we're depriving him of his favorite texture. Last night he found a tshirt that *fortunately* was hideous and won't be missed. We are banning stuffed, not fabric. I picked up a great ball thing made of fleece pieces so he has plenty to chew on that's fabric. I was more interested in whether other bassets ate the stuffing or let it be. I've just never had a dog like Fergus in the 'eating everything' department. We're learning though. It's as much about training us as it is him. Just replacing items we'd prefer he didn't eat with those that he can. :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just replacing items we'd prefer he didn't eat with those that he can. :)
Yup! That's what you've got to do. We don't have any pieces of furniture that have been chewed to pieces mainly because we crate our dogs when we aren't home and they have plenty of toys they can chew on. We would do the same thing you did. If they're chewing on stuff we don't want them to we just say 'Ah!' and then give them one of their toys and praise them when they chew on it instead. And all our chair legs we sprayed with Bitter Apple just in case.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Mikey I must say I have never experienced any of my dogs holding out for a certain texture of a toy or not accepting a new one because they liked the other texture better.I'll keep an eye open for that in my next litter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts