Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 1/2 yo male Basset named Dudley and was wanting to Stud him, but didn't know where to look for females wanting to breed. If anyone lives in Mississippi near the Jackson area and has a female they wish to breed I would love to hear from you. Dudley is AKC registered with a championship background, I bought him from a Basset breeder in southern Miss when he was 8 weeks old and he was the only male left and was actually pick of the litter. He is a very beautiful tri-color hound and weighs a whopping 75 lbs. He isn't overweight and is very healthy. I wouldn't want a puppy from the litter because I just don't have the room for 2 permanent dogs at my home, but would probably charge a stud fee of whatever the pick of the litter sells for. I want to do this the right way and make sure that the girl he mates with is healthy and has an AKC background.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I have a fetching redbone coonhound dachsaund mix named Bailey who would be happy to allow Dudley to gaze upon her magnificence --- at a seemly distance, of course. :)

She's the apple of the eye of many a studly beast, including the stray band of half grown male puppies who wander the road here every morning around 7 am. and, of course, Yogi, who is four + times her size, yet yields to her every command, grateful that he is even allowed to bask in the shimmering brilliance of her presence. Such style! Such grace!! Such scampering about!!!

I would be happy to deduct Dudley's stud fee from the lovely and talented Bailey's Top Bitch fees. True, there is no prospect whatsoever of puppies - Bailey's concern about her figure and, of course, puppy overpopulation and the hazards of bad breeding, led to her insistence she be spayed. But that shouldn't be a problem, given you indicate that you don't want the puppies anyway. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Since breeders tend to look for stud dogs at the shows, the best way to bring him to their attention is to show him. If he's any good then they will approach you about using him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a fetching redbone coonhound dachsaund mix named Bailey who would be happy to allow Dudley to gaze upon her magnificence --- at a seemly distance, of course. :)

She's the apple of the eye of many a studly beast, including the stray band of half grown male puppies who wander the road here every morning around 7 am. and, of course, Yogi, who is four + times her size, yet yields to her every command, grateful that he is even allowed to bask in the shimmering brilliance of her presence. Such style! Such grace!! Such scampering about!!!

I would be happy to deduct Dudley's stud fee from the lovely and talented Bailey's Top Bitch fees. True, there is no prospect whatsoever of puppies - Bailey's concern about her figure and, of course, puppy overpopulation and the hazards of bad breeding, led to her insistence she be spayed. But that shouldn't be a problem, given you indicate that you don't want the puppies anyway. :)[/b]

Biscuit, that is a wonderful offer, but seeing that I live in Mississippi and you live in Oklahoma I do not think that relationship would work. I was trying to find someone close to home who might want the pups and is looking for someone to breed their female with.

Thanks for the reply though.

I do not want the pups because I have no room for a second Basset but wanted to pass the opportunity along to anyone who had a female Basset that did want pups, and was looking for a sire to mate with, before we did our part to control the pet population on Dudley.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just because your dog is from 'champion background', is AKC registered, and you think he's gorgeous doesn't mean he's breeding material. Is he a Champion? Has he been shown at all? Sorry to say, but your opinion in all of this doesn't count for much of anything. You need confirmation of your dog's breedability by judges with experience in the breed, who know the AKC standard. I tend to think that your dog wouldn't achieve his Championship. In fact, had you gotten your dog from a reputable breeder, you'd have had your hands tied by a contract forbidding his use at stud.

While I have two lovely bitches here, both of whom are are pointed and working toward the Championships we will achieve, your dog won't be going near either of them.

To be perfectly blunt, this whole thing stinks!

Biscuit, I got a kick out of your post, but this kind of thing hits a nerve with me every time....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts