Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning we take the dogs for a long walk. They love to walk! Stickers is now enrolled in obedience class. The same instructor that taught Rusty. I'm hoping she too will earn her AKC CGC Certificate. She is already very obedient and wants to please (unusual for alot of Bassets). The problem is the walk. Once she sees another dog or person she stops dead in her tracks. Nothing I try gets her to snap out of it or move. She stands there and just stares. I use a choker chain to walk her. I try the snap of the chain, a quick tap on her rear with my foot to snap her out of it, even a liver treat and nothing! :angry: I'm going to talk to the instructor to see how to stop this behavior. I don't want to stand idle until "she" decides to proceed with the walk. Anyone have another advice. Other than that, she is a sweetheart :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
snoopy is the same. we tend to just flick the lead and say come and usually she does. she sometimes trys it on and stays sat there but them we will just pull her a little and she comes along and looks back at the person/dog as she walks!

im sure the classes will help! we start a new class tonight and are going to aim to get her the Bronze Kennel Club Award next month!

our main problem is when out walking she gets easily distacted by others - she just loves people! she even tried to run alongside a cyclist if they go past fast and it nearly pulls my arm out! she know's she's not supposed to do it but every now and then its just too tempting for her to give it another go!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I suggest string cheese. That gets George moving when he has a stubborn moment. But show it to her, don't give it to her, until you've gone far enough that she's lost interest in whatever made her stop.

·
Registered
608 Posts
No advice here, but I agree with L&S, if she is so obedient in other areas it makes me think it's fear. The mixing with other dogs at the class sounds good if she is introduced gently at first.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We go to our second class tonight. Part of it is fear. She is fine with dogs smaller than her. Hesitant with larger dogs. That is a big reason we decided to enroll her in class. I did remember something the instructor said last week to the entire class. When she does this, immediately turn right and walk in that direction. I tried this last night when I sensed she was coming to a halt and it did work. The other dogs in her class are considerably bigger than her so it will be a good thing for her. Kibble does not work with her. Like I said, otherwise she is great and oh so sweet :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Just read your post. Bubba used to do this with larger dogs, and it didn't take much to be taller than a Basset. He would spot them coming on a walk and get slower and slower, until he would stop dead in his tracks and kinda snuggle up beside us. Usually we just sat still no comments to him, and waited for the bigger dog to pass. After he went through obedience classes with other dogs he was much better and would cautiously walk on by. We often wondered if he had been "put in his place" by a larger dog somewhere along the way before we got him as a 8 month old. I'm sure the CGC classes will help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts