Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i brought Smuttley homeat 7 weeks i noticed smuttley was peeing alot, so when i brought him to the vet to get his health check and asked the vet about Smuttley peeing alot he said that puppies pee alot already so not to be to worried about it..Well i was noticing that he was still peeing alot so when i took him the vets we did urine test.. we waited for the test the vet called next day and said Smuttley has Struvite Crystals.. He gave him meds for 2 weeks and told me to change his food... :confused: Has anyone else ever heard of a 12 week old puppy having this? Also what is this caused from...?? Is this genetic or heredity? I called my breeder and told her about this and she said that she thinks its poor diet and for me to change his food...but I think he had it from her place cause he was like that when i brought him home... I have been feeding him Blue Buffalo puppy food.. :confused:. She also outta 9 litters she never had a puppy who has had this?? can anyone offer some input ? sorry about the long post

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
see my answer in your oringinal post about this question

Struvite crystals

in the vast vast majority of cases struvite crystals in dogs are associated with a UTI [urinary tract infection]. If there is no UTI there is no problems cause by such crystal so treatment etc are unnecesary. Asking how why etc when no disease condition exist is immaterial. Sort of like trying to treat a dog for blue eyes,

Given the nature of sturvite crystal I would be looking for a new vet that dismissed a lot of peeing and advocating a low urine ph diet without treating for a uti but that may be what the meds are for, The high ph diet is useful in speeding the disolving of stones which can harbor the bateria that causes them to form Stones, Struvite crystal can cause recuring uti. IT works like this eliminate UTI, Urine ph lowers, stones disolve releasing encased bacteria, UTI infection feeds on urea, increase ph crystals form over time stones enlarge or form encasing some bacteria in the process, treat UTIi. See a vicious cycle can form so struvite crytstal ussually required a prolonged UTI treatement for a month or more. The use of a special diet help speed the disovoling of stones and is the only reason for the diet. Preventing stones in a dog without a UTI is treating a non-disease process. Completely and utterly useless

Bandit the beagle had to under go prolonged 6 month of treatement for UTI with struvite crystal formation, which included a special diet. Once she was clear of crystals for two months after antibiotic treatment she was switched back to regular food and there were never any crystal formations. While struvite crystal can form in a dogs urine without a UTI it is not common and not a problem except in a few breeds with a genetic defect that is not known to occur in basset hounds so struvite crystal in basset on should first suspect a UTI even if bateria is not found in the urine It high probablity they exist in the bladder. abscent of a UTI struvite crystals are not a problem.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
So Your Dog Has Struvites

My dog doesn't have struvite stones and he doesn't have a bladder infection, but he has struvite crystals. What should I do? Does he need a special diet?

If he has no symptoms and no stones and no infection, you don't need to do anything. Perfectly healthy dogs often have struvite crystals in their urine, and sometimes they will form due to the way the urine is handled. This finding is not significant.
Struvite-stones
The hereditary situation of the English cocker spaniel represents an exception as in at least one genetic line of this breed the tendency to form a purely metabolic struvite stone has been documented

1 - 4 of 4 Posts