Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...every day. Guess he doesn't care anymore about keeping his area clean. They are nice solid poops, he's got no problems with his health. But I guess since he smells it in there, that's where he's going.

I'm at my wit's end...and I don't know what else to do. :(

I've tried every method in the world. Crate training, consistent feeding schedules...but he's been stubborn about going out in the yard so we just keep him out there until he goes and sometimes he won't but I have to work so there's really no option...and I can't afford a dog walker to come during the day.

I'm going to hire a trainer this week because he doesn't really know ANY commands -- sit, stay, heel...I was working with him on those things, but now that he's resorted to pooping in his crate, I don't know what to do. I feel so bad...

Someone please give me some ideas.

·
Registered
973 Posts
My non-expert opinion is that it might be stress. When you are home, keep him out of the crate but in the same room as you where you can watch him. There is a product called Rescue Remedy for dogs can naturally lower their stress. You can try giving it to him before you leave for the day.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I had a rescue dog (a small breed mix) that used to poop his bed for no apparent reason. He had so many issues, and had really been abused (i don't know your situation, if he's a rescue or not, i'm not saying you abuse him *lol*) that he was kind of mental and i was totally at a loss and i loved him but sorta hated him too because he was so stressful. Not only did he realize i was upset at him, even when i wouldn't show it (which made things worse) but i could tell he wasn't doing it on purpose or something.

The answer...i gave him to my parents. *lol* but really the answer was, they have a huge yard that he runs in every day, and for the past almost 6 years hasn't had an accident one. he's free to roam the house, he's not in a crate, but prefers an open bed, and he asks to go outside and is a sweet boy who runs around the yard all day getting out some energy.

So, my environment at the time was making him unhappy. He was in a crate, he didn't have a big yard to run in, and every single time i left, even to just go down the street, he would poop his bed.

ANyway, i would try an open bed, more exercise, and a set feeding schedule. You'd be surprised what little tweaks can help.

Our now beagle, daisy, also used to poop and pee her bed. she LOVES her crate, but would totally barff, pee and poo in it all the time at night. She wouldn't ask to go out.
We changed her collar on the walk to a chest harness (lessened the barfing) and changed her food to an organic blend that has probiotics in it...she hasn't had an accident in her bed since. That's been about 5 months now.

ANyway, despite firm poops it could be food. Like i said, try different bed situations, try probiotics in the food (you can get suppliments in the vitamin section and they're cheap) and make sure the dog is on a set feeding schedule. Feed, wait a few minutes, and put him out. Then you KNOW when he's going to poop. : )

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
You can try the "match trick" to get him to poop before you put him in his crate for the day.

Take a paper match (unlit), moisten the end and stick it in his bum. If he has to poop at all, he will do it within minutes. Leave the end sticking out in case you need to remove it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
*lmao* i haven't heard of that one...the match....lol
that WOULD work though.
I had always heard to use a soft moist cloth and rub their butt...encouraging the movement feeling, like a mama dog would lick the pup's butt.
BUT i think that was for....Puppies only! which makes sense *lol*

i am just imagining the dog walking around with the stick, sticking out his butt *LOL*

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
AHHHHH the match trick! I do that before taking Esa to a show because she will crap in her crate on the way to the show if I don't. How it works? Well, I think because the dog feels something in it's butt it gives the dog the erge to poop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts