Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first let me introduce myself........ I am the owner of two Italian grehounds,one Big Grey Mix, a 17 year old cat, two aquariums full of fish and.....recently have taken into my home a Basset male stray.

He has been given the name Joseph, which fits him well. He has been roaming our rural subdivision from the first of this summer and my hubby and I, as well as some of our other neighbors, have been giving him food and fresh water.

While he would allow me to pet him he was very afraid of most human contact, mostly men. A few days ago I was able to lure him into our fenced yard and now he is sleeping in our garage having free roam of that fenced yard.

Joseph might be Beagle/ Basset mix I'm not certain. Wednesday hubby and I are taking Joseph to our vet for scanning to see if he is chipped. He in still intact and we figure he is at least 5 years old.

Since I have three sighthounds Joseph's baying in the night is very new to me and my family..........I already refer to myself as Joseph's mommy but being realistic I feel that Joseph should be placed in a home perhaps with other Bassets or Beagles.

After I get the go ahead from my vet and have a determindation as to what his breed is for certain I will be trying to locate a "GREAT HOME" for him. I am not interested in turing him over to "just anyone".

Joseph is simply in one word a SWEETHEART pup. He will make someone a awesome pet.....

Could any of you direct me to some RESCUE groups that might be able to help me locate a home for Joseph? I am located a few miles South of Camdenton, Missouri.

Sorry this post is sooooo long...I've enjoyed viewing the pictures of all the Bassetson this site...Thanks Betty Ann

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hi!

I just sent you a private message about Joseph.

Thanks for helping this guy out!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well.... Hubby took Joseph to our vet to have him scanned for a chip and he is NOT chipped. Vet says Joseph is NOT a Basset but he is possibly a prebred Beagle. The age is estimated to be between 6 and 10 years of age.

Joseph has great teeth but I knew that since I looked in his mouth the day I captured him.

Guess I will leave Basset Rescue and go to Beagle Rescue.

My oh my I thought I knew more about dog breeds that this...shame on me.....

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Whatever he is I'm so glad you are helping him out.

I don't know many beagle rescues, but we do have one in NM and I can ask the woman who owns it if she knows of any rescues in your area.

Just let me know!

And we'll make Jospeh an honorary basset in any case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whatever he is I'm so glad you are helping him out.

I don't know many beagle rescues, but we do have one in NM and I can ask the woman who owns it if she knows of any rescues in your area.

Just let me know!

And we'll make Jospeh an honorary basset in any case.[/b]

Thanks so much..... Helen contacted me via email in regards to Joseph. I will get back to her tomorrow after hubby takes Joseph for his vet visit. This pupper has skin issues and we are going to have the vet perscribe some meds.

Actually a vet has not seen this guy, a vet tech scanned him yesturday. We will see what breed the VET says Joseph is.....

Thanks so much for your concern it is GREATLY appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts