Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to CyberHound, so I apologize if this is a topic that has already been covered. I have two Bassets, Fred and Mae. Both dogs occasionally will wake up making a noise that sounds like a cross between hyperventilating and coughing; a repeated sucking/gasping/coughing sound. They will wake from a nap on the couch and cough for about 15 seconds and then go back to sleep as if nothing happened. It’s odd. I asked my vet, but he didn’t seem to know what I was describing. Both are otherwise healthy and fit.

I am just wondering if anyone else has any idea of what I am talking about. I just want to make sure that I am not neglecting a serious problem. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I would suggest continued follow up with your vet and you may want to ask about reverse sneezing or Paroxysmal Respiration. These attacks of snorting have in my experience come on following excitment. A number of people report this in their bassets and a thread on this topic can be found at We Need Some Help However only a veterinarian can diagnose what's going on with your hounds. I have not seen reverse sneezing occur following sleeping.

Other conditions can be confused with reverse sneezing such as tracheal collapse. According to Dr. Mike
I think that the symptoms of these conditions are very similar in some cases, though. Especially in dogs with severe coughing episodes associated with the tracheal collapse, which can look a lot like the extreme inspiratory effort that is typical of reverse sneezing.
Again I'd suggest further discussions with your vet. Keep us posted on what your vet has to say.

[ May 04, 2005, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! It is more of a "snort." Thank you. Why on earth could I not think of the word "snort"?

The discussion on the "reverse sneeze" was very helpful. The kids will be due for vaccinations pretty soon here. I'll definitely discuss it with my Vet (with whom Mae is MADLY in love).

Here's the funny thing, I have found an exceptionally effective cure for extended periods of wheezing. Four words "Who wants a cookie?!" They will jump up and run to the kitchen and forget all about snorting. My hounds are wonderfully weird.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts