Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all bassett lovers and enthusiasts! JD and I are doing fine, but i've been noticing alot more shedding from him. i've read some other posts saying that shedding is normal, or due to stress, or age. JD will be 9 months coming april 17th. he's super playful so i would like to think that he's not stressed about anything. but the strange issue JD has is he is only shedding his white hairs! when i pinch his white hairs, either on his neck, chest, or legs, i get a whole wad of hair. but if i try to pinch his black or brown hair, nothing comes off...or maybe just 1 hair. is this normal? does he not want his white hair anymore? well, hopefully it's just a phase. thanks to whoever can comfort me!

he has a nice ring of white around his neck and i would hate to lose that!!!

joey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your are experiencing the phenomenon of MOLTING BASSET. It happens pretty much every spring, and it happens during the change from pupy coat to adult coat. You are likely getting hit by both at once. This is perfectly normal and not a sign of any problems.

However, you will soon find yourself knee deep in fur if you don't take control of the situation. Frequent grooming with the correct tools can get all that shedding hair out in the grooming process, rather than allowing it to fall out all over your furniture, carpets and clothes.

(Caution: shameless plug alert ;) ) I just happen to have available on my website, 2 styles of grooming kits, each of which contains all the tools you need to take control of the shedding, plus detailed instructions on how to use the tools. As an added plus, ALL PROFIT FROM THE SALE OF THE GROOMING KITS GO TO BASSET BUDDIES RESCUE INC. in the form of my BassetFest pledge.

To order, go to my website: www.rebecbassets.com and follow the links to shop.

A

·
0 Posts
We have piles of hair right now as well. And it's Belvedere that's doing most of the shedding. Maybe it's a coincidence but he is whiter. Dixie hardly sheds at all, even when I brush her. She's darker, with only bits of white here and there. When I brush him ...well ...I could sit there for an hour and keep getting hair. He has always been this way but spring is worse.

A

·
0 Posts
Yep!It's that time in Bogie's life, too. He is eleven months now and in March started shedding huge amounts of hair. He's losing his winter coat as well as his puppy hair. Soft fluff of his undercoat, that the shedding blade gets out, and the longer coarser hair that the "Zoom Groom" gets out. Then a once over with a rubber glove (garden type with rubber palm) that drags off more hair and puts a great shine on him. At this point I think we could brush him for hours and the hair would still be coming out. The birds are delighted, however.

M

·
0 Posts
Rusty and especially Stickers are shedding like crazy!! They just walk across the room and tons of hair is on the floor. My shedding blade is working overtime. Today we did their weekly grooming, nails, ears & teeth. The grooming table looked like a shag table by the time we were finished. My Husband got out the vacummn to try to suck it up!!

A

·
0 Posts
Opus will just sit there and let me vacuum him. He rather likes it. Don't worry, it's just the time of year for it. I've three cats who are shedding like crazy too. My apartment is hair central right now. Thank God my floors are tiled.
Arlene and Opus.

J

·
0 Posts
Jake (tri, mostly black on his back) is shedding white fur in bucketfuls also: however, I get hardly any black fur off him. What little I get is the downy undercoat stuff. Harvey (red and white, mostly white)...you could knit another basset with the fur he's shedding daily! :D

A

·
0 Posts
I brush Copper almost every day with a rubber curry. He seems to lose more of his white also. Luckily his chest and neck are his favorite to have rubbed. I have been told that I'm a bit obsessive in my fight against pet hair, but I say if it bothers you, just keep brushing, brushing, brushing.
By the way JD is sooooo adorable.

[ April 09, 2006, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: THE COPPER TOP ]

T

·
0 Posts
I always seem to notice the white hairs on my clothes, but when I look at my while tile floors in the bathroom and kitchen, I know those black hairs are a-fallin' out, too! I just think the white ones are much more noticable. Also, I think the color of the undercoat hairs is lighter, so it seems like even more white hairs falling out!

Janet 'n Twinkie

G

·
0 Posts
Droopy is shedding white hairs like crazy too. I have a weird story about that.

For about a week, my big toe had been hurting me. I didn't really think much about it until one day I got to looking and it was really red around the area there. I noticed a splinter in my toe and asked my husband to get it out for me. He had a hard time, because it was way down there and skin had grown over it. He kept digging and digging and finally enough was sticking up for him to use the tweezers and yank it out. It wasn't a splinter at all. It was one of droopy's little white pointy hairs. I walk around barefoot all the time and somehow I must have stepped on one of her hairs just right and it went right into my toe.

·
Registered
813 Posts
YOWCH. Note to self: WEAR SOCKS. ;)
I sweep our floors almost every day because George sheds so much, year round, not just in spring or fall as normal dogs seem to. And I get enough in a week to make another basset, easy. I'm not the world's most conscientious housekeeper, but last week I decided to vacuum under the sofa cushions. Ours has one big cushion for the seat. Holy COW, what a mess had accumulated under that. And I keep a slipcover or throw on it to CATCH hair because the sofa upholstery is so hard to get hair off of. Remind me not to look under there anymore. :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you everybody!!! you are definitely making me laugh and a bit more comfortable with JD losing his hair. i just swept right now, and low and behold, i can make another basset like everybody says! it reminded me to check on this thread i posted awhile back. i should've took a picture of the hair, but that might have been uncalled for. JD is doing well, his white hairs covering the carpet in my room and running along the hardwood floor hallway and kitchen. hehe...i hope my roommates don't mind it!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Ok it's nice to knwo I am not the only one with this problem.. there is fur EVERYWHERE !!!! We are constantly vacuming, and the car looks like a dog itself, LOL

Jenn :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I decided to bump this one up. Cletus (11 months Red/White) is shedding like a pillow factory. At what age do puppies shed their puppy coat for their adult one? I realize all dogs are different, but anyone know an approximate age? Also, I don't know if it's the age or color, but Rosco (tri-color) barely sheds at all. Will he also go through this? Right now he is just over 7 months. Do certain colors shed more than others? Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
109 Posts

according to my basset book it says that bassets shed more than most dogs.... Eeyore sheds ridiculous amounts and sometimes it gets stuck in my feet and it feels like a needle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This summer Mr. Runcible had his first real shedding period, being one year and a couple of months. As you have realised by now a huge amount of shedding is just normal. Contrary to someone else in this thread I do not feel that pictures are redundant.

Chunks like this came off every day for quite some days.

This is where the hair came from; the "bare spot" on his shoulder. As I soon realised this was going to happen to the entire dog :shock:

The reason bassets shed so much is because they have so much more surface then other dogs their size :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts