Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the story of our pups Stonewall and Dixie.

They were born September 3rd 2006 on my husband and I's first anniversary of marriage. My inlaws had bred their 2 bassets - male and female obviously, and this was to be the last litter (don't want to talk about this - please!). We knew it was fate that we would get one of these pups. We picked one out at the age of 4 weeks and knew we wouldn't be taking him home until the age of 8 weeks at the very soonest. Because they were at my inlaws house though we had the awesome opportunity of getting to watch Stonewall our red and white male grow up.

At the age of 5 weeks though, 2 of the pups dissapeared. Stonewall and his littermate Dixie, Gone, vanished. We think they somehow got out or were stolen, although with no real holes in the fence and the gate locked this is still a mystery to us. Many flyers, vet phone calls, missing dog reports and 4 weeks later we gave up all hope that they were still alive. How could 2 5 week old puppies survive in a city? Well at approximately a month and a half missing. We got a phone call from animal services stating they thought they had found both our puppies and because they were closing we could come look in the morning. We were there before they even opened. It was the longest 10 minutes of my life! It was them!!!

We have now had them for 2 days. They are now microchipped and have collars with tags and phone numbers. We were originally, in the very beginning only going to take one pup but because they are now so attached we couldn't bare to seperate them and have decided to keep both. Besides, they have a great story!

here is where the fun begins.

I have been keeping an eye on Stonewall as I thought I heard a hack a couple of times over the last couple of days but wasn't really sure. Well this morning I got up and he was full out having coughing fits! I called the vet immediately....

He didn't do squat. He gave them both some pills for Bordetella and vaccinated both dogs (they were due for round 2 of puppy shots). We told him that the first round of shots were from the feed store and he told us that he considered our dogs to not even be vaccinated. That OTC vaccines were bullcrap. He then thought that it was the parents that were in the pound. He never listened to us! We told him their story from the get go! That they have been missing for a month and a half and now were found but they were at the pound. He then proceeded to say "oh crap" and scare us how they probably now have parvo and distemper. That our dogs are going to be really sick. He didn't run any tests, he didn't even look in both ears or noses or anything. He felt their hips and gave them shots then spoke rudely to us. I'm so unhappy.

I understand that the pound is a breeding ground for parvo, distemper and bordetella. I'm not an idiot. I've worked for a vet in the past.

Normally, I wouldn't even ask these questions, I'd be off for a second opinion but considering these pups couldn't have been found at a more financially hard time for us being between jobs, I would like to know ya'lls opinion first:

Is over the counter vaccine effective?
Should I get a second opinion?
Should they have been vaccinated sick?
They were at the pound less than 24 hours, whats my chance of parvo or other viruses/disease?

K

·
0 Posts
Bearing in mind that I am the other side of the puddle (Atlantic):

Get a second opinion (IMHO) - you might want to try some other dog forums to ask the question - the vacci question would not be Basset specific.

Yes parvo etc can be rife at pounds - but I do not think its THAT common (?) Can you phone the pound and ask them if they have had any recent cases?

OTC vaccs are not available here... so not sure of efficacy - sounds dubious to my Brit ears!

and - congrats on getting them back - that's quite a tale!
:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't have any answers for you, but my heart is going out to you. Poor puppies! After everything they (and you) have been through I want to wish you all good luck and I'll keep you in my thoughts. Poor babies! I'll cuddle my Daisy even tighter tonight after your story. Keep us updated on their health.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I would certainly get another vet yours sounds like a jerk. Congradulations on getting your babies back and welcome.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You need to run to another vet and FAST! This guy sounds like am idiot. Good luck with the little pups and keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
1) I would see a second vet. You want one that will hear you.

2) I'm guessing kennel cough, which can be hard on a young pup. The other one is likely to get it too. You can't "cure" kennel cough it just has to run its course, but you need to watch out for complications like pneumonia. The vet probably gave you antibiotics as a precaution. However, I may be all wrong since I'm not a vet and I haven't seen your dogs.

3) Sick dogs should not be vaccinated.

4) Most vets will not recognize OTC shots, because they have no way of knowing if they were properly stored and handled, or if they were given proplerly, or if they were given at all. A lot of authorities won't recognize them either.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
OTC are not recognized by vets or by state and local officials.

so, for example, if you use an OTC vaccination for rabies, it won't be recognized by officials

your vet is correct on that count

·
Registered
3 Posts
same thing happened to us when we where out of town.the sitter let daisy get put into the pound,after she was returned shelost her appetite.she would not eat or drink and lost half her weight.a very bad cough persisted for weeks.we ended up having to hospitalize her for 10 days,she was on oxygen and iv and meds.the vet came up with that daisy had a bad case of pneumonia.after a week or so she finally ate a little.xrays showed her lungs had fluid in them.because of my financial situation at the time she had to come home.after a month or so and clavamox,baytril,and another pill for heart worms she seemed to gain all her weight back and was back to normal,so i thought.
this past week daisy has lost her appitite and is coughing very badly.i called my vet and because i still have a outstanding balance of 1800 dollars he would not cut a rx.(the bill was 2900 and he wanted half the balance for the rx,i was pissed,all about money.after pleading to give me a rx i gave what i could wich was only 220 dollars,he finally gave in.i told him my only other choice was some people meds i have in the cabinets.)i was desperate to make sure my daisy didnt get back to that deathly ill stage.shes currently not eating still,its been 2 days.i started the meds yesterday and will keep my fingers crossed.she is very lazy and will only take a few drinks of water a day.any help would be great.please email me at [email protected].

make sure its not pneumonia and if it is get the meds asap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh daisy's dad! I'm so sorry to hear about this! I will keep your pup in my prayers!

I am, on the other hand, happy to report both of our pups are much better now. No more coughing and happy go lucky little things. Dixie always has to be touching Stonewall when she sleeps. She was really bad about it at first, like he was her comfort blanket but now she can be away from him for quite a bit of time before she becomes worried about him.

Thank you all for your replies. They were very much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts