Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been Dooby's mom for almost a year. She's my first basset and a rescue who's about 8 years old. I quickly became aware of the basset odor that accompanies her, but in the last month, she REALLY stinks! Not the normal basset stink, but like (for lack of a better comparison) an anus. I took her to the groomer's last weekend thinking her gland needed to be expressed, but 2 days later the stench is back. Any ideas what this could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Is it her ears? Mouth? Feet? Did the groomer say anything about her anal glands? Like were they full, impacted, infected?

Or does she have gas?

LOL...just covering all bases.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I would have the vet check her over for any medical issues, suck as ear infection, skin infection, lip fold pyoderma, anal glan problem, dental issues etc.

Have you changed her diet recently?

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
bacterial infection and anal galnds tend to smell like rotten fish Yeast infections rancid oil. Dog that smell like poop are often rolling in/on the stuff covering themsleves which occurs as fequently as they roll in it

·
Registered
456 Posts
bacterial infection and anal galnds tend to smell like rotten fish Yeast infections rancid oil. Dog that smell like poop are often rolling in/on the stuff covering themsleves which occurs as fequently as they roll in it
Bella has a thing for fox poo, I try to stop her rolling but then she just picks up the poo in her mouth and takes it further away to roll in it. No kisses allowed after those episodes. She also loves rolling in dead things she gets bathed a lot!!!!!

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
it is a lot harder to sneek up on them wrascally wabbit if you smell like a basset, smelling like a fox though should help much either but then again wabbits might not be afraid of fox poop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Daisy had that same smell when we got her, It is her ears, took her to the Vet and she gave us "CHLORAMPHENICOL 1gm" for the infection, check with your Vet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. She gets baths, so it's not something on the outside of her. I know it's not her ears because when I adopted her, her ears were VERY stinky! The vet helped me get that part under control. Because of the distinct smell, I think it was something to do with her anal gland. The groomer said it (her gland) was normal and the funny thing about it is: it's not constant. It might be bad for 3 days and then go away for a week. She goes to the vet soon for her yearly and we'll hopefully find out what's going on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Definitely think a trip to the vet is in order.....is she spayed? Any discharges?

·
Registered
62 Posts
is it her fur that stinks?

I found out Daisy had grain allergies because she stunk to high heavens like a day or two after having a bath! Switched her to grain free food and now no more stinky basset

1 - 11 of 11 Posts