Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may remember we were looking at getting a third dog a few months ago. The first was a little beagle. We tried and tried to get a hold of the owner, but our calls were never returned. The second was a basset at the local shelter. By the time we got there she was gone. So today we saw a nine year old Dachshund advertised and decided to try again. Maybe the third time will be the charm. Wish us luck.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
As some may remember we were looking at getting a third dog a few months ago. The first was a little beagle. We tried and tried to get a hold of the owner, but our calls were never returned. The second was a basset at the local shelter. By the time we got there she was gone. So today we saw a nine year old Dachshund advertised and decided to try again. Maybe the third time will be the charm. Wish us luck.
[/b]

I'm sure if you contact your local rescue mission they could help you find a dog. Both of my hounds are rescues and what a great feeling to know that I was able to give them a second chance.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Hope this time things work out for you! Wished you lived nearer to us; we're *still* fostering one of the pups from the litter we took in in July. :blink: As always, many many thanks for rescuing :) and for not making the rescue problem worse by buying from backyard breeders. :angry:

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
My vet has been doing some rescue and is overrun with pups right now. There's a red heeler staying in the waiting area (and staring at everyone :D ) and a mess of black lab pups living inthe kennel area and more.

I am seriously considering the heeler ... if, and only if, he makes a solemn vow not to spend all his time herding Lady and Yogi into place, then staring at them so they don't move.

::joking::

::eek:kay, not joking::

No, I really am considering taking in the heeler.

In any case, this is a very long way around to say I'm with Betsy --- there are so many great dogs and pups who need homes. Thanks for adopting this way!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Betsy and Biscuit. We haven't heard anything yet, but are hopeful. I volunteer almost every Saturday at a rescue and know first hand how many unwanted dogs there are. So far this year we've adopted out over 700. Unfortunately there are always many more to replace them. Puppies and younger dogs get adopted out much quicker than older dogs. I guess that's part of the reason I want to help this guy out.

·
Registered
799 Posts
We have Dasch the mini Dachsie and Lucy the Basset! Hope it works out for ya! :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it turns out Dachshund already has a home. Today I found another needy dog as I was visiting the shelter in Anchorage. This one really caught my eye. She's a 2 1/2 year old Staffordshire mix, very cute and appears quite smart. Supposedly she gets along well with other dogs and I guess we'll see first hand when she comes home on Friday. I really hope they all get along well. Noonie was an only dog for many years prior to Buddy. And there were no problems with the two of them. It might be a little different this time with the introduction of a female. If anyone has some insight on this I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Thanks for giving the Staffie a home! I've seen a few at obedience trials, and they're darling little dogs! Fingers crossed that everyone gets along. As long as everyone is spayed/neutered, I wouldn't think the male/female thing would be too disruptive. You've probably already heard the suggestion to introduce them on neutral territory, like a park. Closely monitor their interactions once they're all home--sometimes they'll suprise you! Post photos when you have a chance. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My boys are taken care of and she will be spayed before she comes home. She was an owner surrender and I spoke with him tonight. He's a contractor getting ready to head overseas and knows he is unable to give her the attention she needs. He found her as a puppy along side a Texas highway. Aside from being pretty energetic at times and wanting to be all over everyone it doesn't sound like she has many issues. She's still pretty young and I would expect she'll settle down a bit given some time.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What a wonderful Christmas present. Congradulations and I hope everything works out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We picked Baby Penny (name may change) up tonight, a whole day earlier than planned. So far all has gone well. Lots of sniffing from all parties. No aggressiveness whatsoever. Noonie was getting a little "worked up " though. Funny, he's almost ten. She is very dopey after her spaying and several times she just kind of collapsed in the floor. She is currently in our room away from the boys so she can rest undisturbed. The boys showed her the doggy door and while she didn't use it to go out, she did coming back in. Here are a couple of pictures. Hopefully I'll have some better ones soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts