Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 yo male neutered Basset, Clovis, is the love of my life except for one major troubling thing. He marks inside the house for no unknown reason. He’ll go for a week or so and then all of a sudden I’ll find he’s peed just a bit on something. For instance, a brown paper bag sat in my living room for 5 days with a small saw in it. I then moved the bag to the kitchen to take it to the basement, and before I could do that, Clovis peed on the bag! Unfortunately I never catch him in the act and therefore can’t punish him immediately. I’m 73 and he’s my 5th Basset Hound, but my first to have this trait. The vet has given him a clean bill of health, but with this behavior I’m not sure my doctor would do the same for me. Marking is very hard to break. I do keep him crated when I go out but I’m usually not gone long, and when home he has a doggie door and large yard. I’d love any thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
assuming he is neutered marking is no different than any other house training issue. in which free access is contingent on being accident free, Have you actual seen him mark? if not if and he is neutered and the marked area are area that he also naps he may have spay incontinency, much more common in females but it happens in boys too and is treatable

1 - 2 of 2 Posts