Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many longtime Cyberhound basseteers know, Francis went blind last year from glaucoma but it has in no way whatsoever made him afraid or fearful or even more normal. Definitely NOT more normal, that's for sure.
Francis hates, hates, HATES to get wet and the weather this month in Boston has been damp, wet days followed by warm, humid days and the grass is always wet (it's been so warm it's even started growing again) so going outside has been a challenge lately but Fran has learned to cope with it admirably.
First he sticks his head out the door to see if it's actively raining. If it is he goes right back inside until the weather changes. If it sounds and smells okay, he goes down the steps, then he walks with his left 2 paws on the walkway and his right 2 paws on the grass.
He follows the walkway, turns a right on the sidewalk, then turns another right onto the driveway, all the while with one side on the grass and the other on the pavement. He then finds the right spot (what makes it the right spot, anyway?) and squats to do his business with all 4 paws on the pavement and his bum hanging over the grass.
If it's pouring and he can't wait he crawls under the bushes along a stone stepway like some kind of squirrel or raccoon until he gets under my large, dense quince bush, then he lets fly.
I stand out there with him so he doesn't get disoriented (he hasn't yet) and the neighbors will stop to watch because it looks so funny. He's definitely a popular dog in this neighborhood

·
Registered
714 Posts
Francis has adjusted phenominally well to his blindness. It's really great to hear how great he is doing.
Your description of his routine shows how clever he is, and that he's still all Basset! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
very clever....not sure I could adjust THAT well ........I'd probably miss "the thrown" altoghether and wind up in the floor...... :lol: :D :lol:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, one time I wasn't paying attention and he peed on my foot. That was my fault though. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts