Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were sitting one day when our basset when into the ground, he was stiff non reactant, and hardly breathing. After a couple of minutes he became fine but was very agitated. What could be the problem, any help will be appreciated. he is 5 years old.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'd ask your vet what he thinks - and I'd watch him to see if it happens again.

Murray had a seizure once:he fell off the couch and was staggering around the room, then fell to the ground-he acted more dazed than agitated- I don't know much about this though because he's never had another one.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I'd ask your vet what he thinks - and I'd watch him to see if it happens again.

Murray had a seizure once:he fell off the couch and was staggering around the room, then fell to the ground-he acted more dazed than agitated- I don't know much about this though because he's never had another one.[/b]
Yes a possible seizure

Generalized Tonic Clonic (Grand Mal)
Generalized, tonic-clonic (formerly called grand mal) seizure: The seizure begins with contraction of all skeletal muscles and loss of consciousness. The dog usually falls to his side with the legs stretched out and the head back. This is the tonic portion of the seizure. Sometimes he will vocalize or have facial twitching. Vocalizations are involuntary and do not indicate pain. Often the dog will drool excessively, urinate, defecate or eliminate his anal glands. The tonic portion of the seizure is usually very brief and gives way to the clonic phase of the seizure. Once the clonic phase begins the dog will have rhythmic movements. Typically this consists of clamping the jaws and jerking or running movements of the legs.

Following the seizure, the dog may lay motionless for a brief period. Eventually he will get up on his feet and may appear to be perfectly normal, but typically will show signs of post ictal behavior. These signs may include blindness, disorientation, pacing or running about the house bumping into things. The post-ictal behavior can last anywhere from hours to days after a seizure.

Not all generalized seizures follow this pattern. Another type of generalized seizure is the tonic seizure, in which motor activity consists only of generalized muscle rigidity without the clonic phase[/b]
Keep in mind it is not unusal to have a dog suffer a seizure once and never happen again as well. Treatment for siezure disorders are general not considered unless the dog is having them more frequently than every 3-6 months. FWIW for my Epileiptic dog the post ictal behavior lasted 18-24 hrs but this varies greatly between dogs.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Over Christmas break last year this happened to my boy Gibbs. He started panting and shaking then became very stiff. Once he finally got up he was staggering around like a drunk person. I called the vet and took him in. By time we got there he was fine. They ran all sorts of tests, lots of blood work, etc and didn't find anything. The vet said that it sounded like he had a seizure and he may never have one again.

~Heather

1 - 4 of 4 Posts