Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about having stem cell therapy on Lightning to help with his hind end weakness. I know a lab that had it done and the difference was astounding. A new laboratory that processes stem cells has opened very near where I live (I think the only other one is in Calif.), and given all the horse business they get from the racing industry, I'm hoping the cost will be relatively reasonable. Has anyone tried this on a pet or know of someone who has? Lightning's issues are purely age-related. He's 13, and in excellent health otherwise (if you don't count his bad eye). And they would be his own stem cells, so there's no threat of rejection.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hope you do post what you find out. One of the vets we see has mentioned that they are available for dogs, and the results have been good. Apparently the research with dogs is ahead of that with humans so far as stem cells go.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
there are a number of agility dogs that have had good sucess with ligament and tendon damage. Have no idea about muscle weakness which is often nerve damage however.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Lightning's problem is arthritis, not nerve damage. But I will definitely ask the vet about whether he thinks Lightning is a good candidate. I'll post what I decide. (I could use a few stem cell injections--I wonder if I can get the vet to help me out too?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts