Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the front this just looks like a normal dog trying to enjoy a little couch time, staring at dad and waiting for a treat:

But in all actuality it is a stubborn basset trying to defy her dad who puts obstacles on his new loveseat that he is trying to keep clean and basset-free.

·
Registered
775 Posts
How funny is that :lol: Seriously, when Maggie Mae was very young she would get up on the couch when we weren't home. So we use to put a long sheet of aluminum foil on the couch. She hated the sound. We would show her the foil, make some noise with it and she HATED it and stayed off the furniture. I had to do the same thing with Stickers when she first came here. She hasn't gotten on the furniture in almost one year. Try it as long as you know she won't eat the foil. That could be cause for an emergency surgery!

·
Registered
224 Posts
That is so cute! She probably thought you bought it just for her and wonders why you didn't choose a more comfortable one with more space on it. :rolleyes:

You might need a few tips from Sandy and Bo, although I seem to remember that her boys were pretty skilled at getting past her attempts to keep them off as well. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have four couches of which only one is Wally "authorized" to sleep on. The rest usually have various obstacles on them to prevent their use. Ocassionally we forget to replace the obstacles but by now Wally is understands which belongs to him. The other night my son called me to the living room right before he was going to sleep. The lights were out and Wally was laying on the top of the backrest of the couch much like a cat would. Wally is a big dog at roughly 60+ lbs so it was quite funny to see and was unable to scold him. I told him to come down to his usual position and he complied. I wish I had a camera handy to grab that picture.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah. Right. Clean and basset-free? In that case, you'd better get a goldfish! Cute pics! :p[/b]

This is so true. I have given up on Fred and let him have the loveseat. I just clean it when I'm having company. He will not get on the couch but its a wrap with the loveseat

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Those Bassets always seem to get their way!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've heard that putting a piece of that plastic carpet protector, with the spikey side up, on furniture will keep dogs off. I've never tried it myself, but I know people who swear by this method.....

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
When we adopted Moe we tried everything we could think of to keep him off the loveseat but nothing worked. So the loveseat became his and we contented ourselves with the couch and the recliner. When he was sure the loveseat was his he set his sights on my husband's Lazyboy. My husband held out for as long as he could but eventualy Moe won the Lazyboy. Only the couch was a Moe-free zone. A couple years later he took over even that. From there he moved on to my son's twin bed, and then on to the pale green wing-chair in my bedroom. We bought my son a full-size pillowtop mattress set last year (at fifteen he no longer fit his twin size bed :blink: ) and Moe has left the new bed alone. I think he is finally getting too old to jump that high. As for the rest of the furniture, the loveseat has small holes worn in the upholstery and he no longer uses it, the lazyboy is missing two buttons but is otherwise still servicable, the couch (his bed of choice) is sagging, drool-stained, and hair-covered but only on his favorite end... the rest is still in fair shape. My pale green wing-chair will never be the same again, and I will never buy pastel furniture again.

My husband says no new furniture till we have no dogs. :( I guess that means no new furniture ever again... ;)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. My dogs are only "authorized" to get on the futon in the office. They are really good about it and do not attempt any of the other furniture. All we've ever done is told them no when they've attempted. They don't even try anymore. Although my husband and I have been on vacation and a total of 9 days away from the hounds. They've stayed at my parents house where they are allowed on all furniture, so I think we are in for some attempts at getting on furniture when they return home.

~Heather

1 - 12 of 12 Posts