Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever see their basset stand up like this? The video link I posted is of Maggie doing it a couple of years ago. I haven't been able to snap a picture or video in time lately. She does this allllllll the time. Excuse the excitement in my voice in the video... that was the first time I had ever seen her do it. :)

Maggie Sitting on her Back Legs - YouTube

Also, here's a picture of her doing it around the same time I took the video. Like I said, she does it all the time but I can never get my phone in time to snap a pic before she hears me and sits back down. haha

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
too kewl
my buddy BobtheDOg (ATB, RIP) was a great sitter-upper
me and all my predecessors have been "crumblers" not "sitteruppers"

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sooo cute!!! Our Lottie has done that (as well as being able to sit for absolutely ages) since she was about 5 months old. Lucie does it too now and again, but being a bit longer in the body, she can't sit for very long and I try not to encourage Lucie from doing it in case she hurts her back but Lottie does it constantly!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Flash does it everyday when I come home from work, he runs up to me, stands up and then sits down on his butt. He can't balance himself though, so I have to squat down and let one of his paws rest on my knee.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Oh I wish PB would do that! They kinda look like humans. She stands on her hind legs though every morning to greet me. Probably because she gets in trouble for putting her paws on the bed. So now she just stands up on her hind legs & pirouettes in the middle of the room. "Ooh excitement my human is getting up!!" It's pretty much like a standing ovation every morning!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohh SophieB, love those pictures!! So cute!!

I forgot I had a pic of my dad's beagle/basset, Abbi, doing this. I remember she was begging for something he was eating... she does this whenever he is eating. haha We don't call her "Abbinoxious" for nothing! :p

Attachments

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
"Sitting Pretty" can be a dangerious trick to teach a basset and not for the obvious reason. My mother tried to teach Toughy (worlds slowest agility dog) this trick . On the first attempt he fell over bacwards, no he was not hurt, but from that day forward it was obvious she could not be trusted and he never listened to her again, unless of course she had his food bowl in her hand,

·
Registered
761 Posts
Virga does this as long as I'm holding onto her paws. She can't balance on her own. But it's cute when she does it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Sitting Pretty" can be a dangerious trick to teach a basset and not for the obvious reason.
I actually didn't teach Maggie how to do it, she just started doing it one day.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
SophieB, the 2nd picture is just too cute! She looks like she has something important she is about to say.

I've tried to teach Boomer to sit up, but he won't. He can walk short distances on his hind legs, we did not teach him that, he just does it. He also likes to come up behind me, put his legs on my caboose and walk behind me using me as his support. There will be NO pictures of that.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
put his legs on my caboose and walk behind me using me as his support
Are you sure he is not trying to push you over and steal any food you might have, Tpughy once pushed my sister off a recliner her caboose landed on the floor. it was hilarious I think he is still llaughing about it. Just like he thought it was fun to make people jump by barking at them when they petted him.

·
Registered
972 Posts
that is soooo cute! You have a little meerkat! or a kangaroo, the way she uses her tail!

I've seen the vids and pics of Lottie before, and ever since we've occasionally tried to get bowser to do it, but he won't!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I used to have a daschund who would do that all the time....Woody doesnt or really even try..but it adorable to see..love the picts.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ohh SophieB, love those pictures!! So cute!!

I forgot I had a pic of my dad's beagle/basset, Abbi, doing this. I remember she was begging for something he was eating... she does this whenever he is eating. haha We don't call her "Abbinoxious" for nothing! :p
Soooo cute!!!! :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
"Sitting Pretty" can be a dangerious trick to teach a basset and not for the obvious reason. My mother tried to teach Toughy (worlds slowest agility dog) this trick . On the first attempt he fell over bacwards, no he was not hurt, but from that day forward it was obvious she could not be trusted and he never listened to her again, unless of course she had his food bowl in her hand,
Mikey, we never taught Lottie how to sit... she just started it one day at around five months of age one night when all three were in for their supper biscuits and she just kept on doing it. I would never try and teach a dog to do that, especially if it wobbled over... Lottie never even wobbles and always looks like she was born to sit up... she can even turn around without falling over. No matter where we are, Lottie's up like a shot! One day in the park a lady stopped to speak and she put her hand in her pocket to presumably give her own dog a treat to shut him up as he was barking and Lottie immediately hopped up on her bum.

She sits peeping over the top of the dinner table when we are eating (her bum sitting comfy in her kitchen bed) if we're having a barbecue in the garden she props herself up and moves around everyone... there's just no stopping her! A previous Basset we had back in the 80s and who lived to 15.5 years always did it and she came to no harm and lived to a good age until she succombed to the dreaded C word!!!

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
the perponderance of basset I have seen do this are female don't know other than the obvious a gentic/physical reason this is the case or just my observation I had a few that did it all were females and for the listing here mostly femals.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
None of my current bassets do this, but I've had many in the past that did (including Spot, a male). All of them started to do it by themselves and I just helped them learn to balance.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts