Basset Hounds Forum banner

Stairs: How bad are they?

26K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  hdhound123 
#1 ·
I've done a ridiculous amount of research on Basset Hounds and in every way I think they would be a good fit for me, my wife and our child. The one hang up I have is that we live on the second story of a small condo building. The condo itself is large and we actually have a decent sized yard, that's not the problem. Instead, I'm slightly concerned about the 20-25 stairs the Basset would have to go up and down on a fairly regular basis. I know that Bassets under a year old are supposed to stay off of stairs but other than that, I'm hoping some experts out there can let me know what impact, if any at all, stairs have on the older, mature Basset. Is it unrealistic to expect such a climb out of this breed or am I being overly worrisome? Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
I'm hoping some experts out there can let me know what impact, if any at all, stairs have on the older, mature Basset. Is it unrealistic to expect such a climb out of this breed or am I being overly worrisome? Thanks for your help.[/b]
Know study has been done on the effect of stairs on the back so unfortunately their ar no experts just a lot of opnions. IMHO the biggest risk to stars for an adult dog is falling down then not the process of climbing them. You will find lots of folks that actual add stairs for basset to get around because it is better to stairs than a big leap down from furniture.

But then again mine do a lot more jumping than most being trained to run agility so I might very well have a bias.

#3 ·
I also think it is a matter of opinion. I think it is more a matter of common sense though. Everything has to be put into perspective, they are smaller so small jumps to use are larger to them. Also, like previously stated, it is the coming down rather than the going up that hurts them. I was under the impression that Bassets could not jump high, however, Luke jumps to the back of the couch from the floor with no problem, I believe he thinks he is a cat.

I do know for a fact that a lot of the short legged breeds have a problem with steps when they get old, but then again, so did my grandmother. A friend of mine had a corgi that would rock front and back for a few seconds just to get momentum up to take a single step up.

I would say as long as you minimize their heights they have to jump from they should be fine. I would also recommend good food and not the standard garbage sold at most grocery stores.

Tim

#6 ·
My bassets don't do full stairs as they're blocked from the second floor. But I've always been told that stairs before a year old are not good. I would think that, with caution -- why not?

To find a good breeder in your area, go to the Basset Hound Club of America's web site. There is a listing of breeders all over the country. I would stick with that list, too. Any deviation is a risky trip.....

#7 ·
You do have to be cautious with stairs and Bassets. Bubba, ATB, began having back troubles when he was about six. The vet told us to limit his stairclimbing and NO jumping on furniture. The going down jars their spinal column and a Basset is heavier on the front half which compounds things. We then only let him climb them to go upstairs to the bedroom at night and down the next morning using a baby gate to gate off the stairs. He weighed 65 pounds, a big boned basset, so carrying him was not an option for me. Up until then he had free reign and followed us every time we went up and down.

Bogie does go up and down the same stairs now. We had to really work with him when we got him as a ten month old, because he had never done stairs. Ours are carpeted, and it was hilarious watching him try to negotiate them with his long body. Up is not the problem, it's the going down that's tough, and they sort of bunnyhop down, with both front feet going together and both back feet going together. We only let Bogie up at night and down in the morning until he was about a year and a half old to give those joints time to grow and mature.

Bogie does not jump on the furniture, never started it with him,and he is content with his bed on the floor.
We do sit on the floor alot with him for snuggling.

Good luck in your hunt for a Basset. Just be sure you get one from a reputable breeder.

#8 ·
Hi,
I was told many years ago, that for the 1st 6 months a Basset must not be walked. After a year they are as able as the next dog. The breeder I spoke to told me that a Basset is more than capable of climbing stairs. But must admit I am always wary. Our dogs are not allowed upstairs, but given the chance they are very quick at climbing up stairs, but when caught are verrrryyyyy slow to climb down!, this has nothing to do with ability, more to do with being a Basset ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.