Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! It's been a long time since I have posted, but I do recall hearing about Brewer's yeast helping Basset hounds.

I have a 6 year old hound, Louie, who has been on and off steriods for most of his life. He is a puppy mill dog with a shot immune system. I have had him allergy tested and have removed known allergins from his system (beef, chicken, turkey, wool, humans, grass, certain trees...!!!)

Anyhow, he was a whopping 80 pounds and now I am going to try something else other than the steriods route. (He goes on steroids for months at a time). I have him off for about three weeks now, and he is starting to itch and lose fur. They are not hot spots...just patches of fur he has lost. He is biting at his feet and scratching. He does get relief from a shower..which I shower him about every month...two weeks if needed. He is healthy in everyother way...Happy, eats well, plays with the dog next door, runs around...etc.

I am told Brewers Yeast may help a great deal.

My pocket book is broken now, we have spent thousands (literally) on Lou, and with this economy we have to watch every penny.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Hi there! It's been a long time since I have posted, but I do recall hearing about Brewer's yeast helping Basset hounds.[/b]

Unless the dog has a b vitamin deficiency which is unlikely brewers yeast is useless. There are also claims that brewer's yeast and garlic repels fleas which has been proven not to be the case as well.

check put the link beow for more non-steriodal solutions to itching. but keep in mind if bathing once a month is effective provide the shampoo is designed for a dog higher skin ph and is moisturizing more frequent bathing may be even more helpful. Especial with atopy. becouse it will remove the alergen form the skin. Also anything that removes dust and pollen from the air hepa filters etc would be helpful as well,. Topical steriod application may provide the same itch relief with reduced side effects over oral or injectable steriods There are anti itch sprays available the contail hydrocortosone,

itch relief

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Have you ever had a thyroid panel done on your dog?
My Yogi has allergies, not as bad as some dogs I have seen and heard about but I will tell you that I no longer take him to the vet for them because all they do is prescribe prednisone and antibiotics which really over the long term do more harm then good, in my opinion. The prednisone suppresses the immune system and it becomes a vicious cycle. I only take him in now if I think he has a secondary infection and needs antibiotics. I have become vigilant about checking his skin every single day as you know it doesn't take long for something to get out of control. What seems to work for us most of the time is having to bathe him weekly at times (sometimes just the affected areas) and doing paw soaks in a chlorexiderm shampoo. Recently I have been using a chlorexiderm type wipe for his armpits and feet which is great since it's so cold here, he gets chilled very easily.
What kind of food are you feeding and have you ever done a true allergy diet? Blood tests, I am told are not entirely accurate so a food trial might be better which would consist of feeding one novel protein and one carb source for a minimum of eight weeks, maybe even twelve weeks.
I hope you can figure out how to get some relief for your hound.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you ever had a thyroid panel done on your dog?
My Yogi has allergies, not as bad as some dogs I have seen and heard about but I will tell you that I no longer take him to the vet for them because all they do is prescribe prednisone and antibiotics which really over the long term do more harm then good, in my opinion. The prednisone suppresses the immune system and it becomes a vicious cycle. I only take him in now if I think he has a secondary infection and needs antibiotics. I have become vigilant about checking his skin every single day as you know it doesn't take long for something to get out of control. What seems to work for us most of the time is having to bathe him weekly at times (sometimes just the affected areas) and doing paw soaks in a chlorexiderm shampoo. Recently I have been using a chlorexiderm type wipe for his armpits and feet which is great since it's so cold here, he gets chilled very easily.
What kind of food are you feeding and have you ever done a true allergy diet? Blood tests, I am told are not entirely accurate so a food trial might be better which would consist of feeding one novel protein and one carb source for a minimum of eight weeks, maybe even twelve weeks.
I hope you can figure out how to get some relief for your hound.[/b]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I have had Lou allergy tested by the vet...it was over $350 and I ended up with a box of syringes and vials to inject him with. Since I have been a nurse for many years, I had no problem with that, but he just got sicker. The vet wanted me to persist, but I didn't feel that it was helping him...and we did this for about 3 months.
I had him on a diet of z/d by Hills, (recommended by the vet) but when they raised the price to $35 for a small bag, I drew the line. I have tried Honest Kitchen, but it too was very pricey and Lou stopped eating it.
We now have Nature's Balance for the dry food, and 1/2 can of Lamb and Rice. I add yogurt (He likes that!) and sometimes a sweet potato.
Tell me more about this diet?

I have tried Masengil under Lou's arm pits, and that works well. Where do I get the wipes you are talking about Yogi's mom?

I 100% agree with you, as far as the antibiotics and steroids. I am tired of it, and I don't think it helps at all. The one thing I have noted that really really helps is bathing him. I do use a very gentle human shampoo (my daughter is a hair dresser and gets me very high quality shampoos...but I find the ones that bother me...like Biolage and Deep shine by Rusk...make him more itchy too. Even the pet shampoo with oatmeal has him scratching. Once I took him to the groomers at the vet and he was all rashy about an hour after picking him up.

I really feel that yeast is the whole problem. He smells like yeast after a few days. Any thoughts you all have are welcome!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and PS...Yup, we did the thyroid panel...(as I have hypothyroidism, I thought of that too...) thyroid is in good working order...thank God pancreas are OK too after all that time on steroids!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Shampoo:
http://www.entirelypets.com/douxo3.html?__..._utmk=153163193
They also make wipes which I am using now since it's so cold out and he gets chilled very easily.
http://www.entirelypets.com/douxochlorhexidinepspads.html

As for the diet, check out Monica Segal's books, K-9 Kitchen or Optimal Nutrition.
Basically you give the dog one protein and one carb that he has never had before and feed only that for eight to twelve weeks. Then you slowly add one item at a time to see how your dog reacts. It is very hard to do, takes much patience and dedication on the part of the owner to make sure the dog gets nothing extra in the diet. But if you feel your dog has true food allergies it may well be worth it. Course it won't help with the enviornmental allergies but a good diet can certainly help.
I also think a good quality fish oil with vitamin e helps skin issues and has many other health benefits for dogs (as well as people).
I forgot to add that sometimes giving a probiotic daily can help.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up taking him to the vets, when neither he nor I could take it anymore.

Bacterial infection. $175 for visit, antibiotics and steroids. Such a viscious cycle. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts