Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey that rhymes!
Does anyone know of a squeaky toy that my 8 mo old puppy won't destroy? He LOVES the squeaky tennis ball I bought him, but he bit right through it in no time (like 2 hours).

Anyone have an indescrutable toy?

Thanks,
Liam :)

A

·
0 Posts
Completely indestructible? ...Well probably not but we have a few that have survived several months in the toy basket. We got some from Target by the brand "The Dog". They are soft plastic squeaker toys (different breeds of dogs) and neither dog has even attempted to destroy them. The squeak sound is a little different. That could be why it's still around but we're not sure.

The other one is a brightly colored, knobby-looking monster thing from Walmart. There are several different monsters. They have little nubs and spikes and again, it's the softer plastic. It's easy to run around with ...they seem to be able to pick them up and carry them.

My husband says the ones that make it through the first night are the ones that they can actually play with. If it's just the dumb squeaky plastic "steak" or the fleecy ones, they tend to get down to the business of destruction right away. Anything fleece or cloth never make it in this house.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have a Hartz small squeaky ball (red & green) that the Vanessa (the puppy) and Snoopy have not destroyed yet. We also have a another ball that is @ 4" in diameter with bumbs on it that is a loud squeaking toy that has lasted several years.
We also have a boot and a newspaper that have survived also.

Its funny because all the other plastic ones have been chewed apart. Plus anything that is stuffed with a squeaker is proudly destuffed as fast as they can get it apart, however if it doesn't have a squeaker it lasts a long time.

A

·
0 Posts
AT my local Pet Supplies Plus store they sell these sheepskin squeaky toys that are truly indestructible. They're made in the vague shape of some animal and are about $8-10.00 each. I can't remember the name of the company that makes them but the tags are yellow, purple and green.
Francis and I play "Tug O'War-The Death Match Version" with these things and after Francis wins he always chews at them ferociously for a long time. They last forever. I think the 2 "Babys" we have now must be at least a year and half old and they're still going strong.

A

·
0 Posts
Another thing that we have found to be true for our dogs anyway ...anything that has "shake-ability" gets them in the mood for destruction! If arms and lets fling about when it's shaken, it must be destroyed immediately.

I think I'll try to find the toy mentioned in the previous post. Maybe Pet Smart or Petco carried the brand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Hard Core Fire Hose Dog Toy (Squeak & Fetch) has stood up well to the abuse my Border Terrier dishes out. . .the squeaky tennis balls last less than 10mins, and not only is the squeaker gone, the ball itself is torn to shreds.

I can't speak for how much damage a Basset might be able to do to the hose toy, though, as Rebel only puts it in his mouth (retrieves it) when I pay him off with a constant stream of cookies(g).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for your help. I'm going to try some of the suggestions for Willy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another option is to buy the sqeek toys with removable squeeks. You can buy packages of replacement squeeks to put in them. Jammers is insane for squeek toys. I kept them as her ringside special toys at dog shows and she would destroy 2 or 3 a day. With the replaceable ones, if she killed the squeek, I could rescusitate it with a new squeek from my bag. She especially liked the snake cuz it shook well.

Her all time favorite remains the bunnyfur-covered squeeky mice they make for show dogs. She can kill one in about 5 minutes. They have a fairly rigid plastic mouse-shaped squeek covered with the fur. Jammers' friend Em likes them also and stole hers one day as we were waiting to go in the ring. the whole mouse disappeared into Em's mouth. I could see it being moved from one side of her mouth to the other as her lips pooched out. Then she kind of puckered up and spit out just the plastic form. The bunny fur was never seen again.

A

·
0 Posts
i'll have to look at the Target ones. Jammers sounds good if I can locate. When R U Going to Quit showing ( Jammers the champion) Just give her to me and she will be back with her Brother?? :D :D ;) . Only 1/2 joking. Give her a kiss from her Bro.Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the perfect toy!

I'd like to respond to all the posts above and let you know that after much searching we've found a toy that Willy loves and that has stood up for3 weeks now - with no sign of wear!

We tried the firehose toy. That lasted about 15 minutes
We tried Tuffie's Squeaker ring - we still have it, but it's not far from being ppulled apart.
We tried the Everlasting Treat Ball, which I think would have lasted if we had known about the everlocking treats (the dog can't get them out!). However, it was that company (Triple Crown) that sent us the Triple Crown Everlasting Fun Ball (soft and squishy).

You fill the ball up with treats, bones, food, whatever you want. And they love it!

Not to mention, the staff at Triple crown was the best. They sent this toy to us free of charge after we told them the everlasting treat ball lasted 10 minutes.

Thanks to all for your help. We ended up without a squeaker, but Willy likes this toy better, and for us, it doesn't squeak!

check out their products at www.triplecrowndogs.com

Liam :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts