Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here in Indiana it is raining again and last night we had high winds and tornados to entertain our final four guests but Sunday morning was beautiful. Sabian and I have mapped out a 1.5 mile walk through the park and through town that we are tackling every good day we have. I never walk Pearly with Sabian because generally she is too slow and is not interested in long walks. She has had episodes of "flat basset" before on the walks and we have had to turn around. Sunday she was begging to go with us. Well I gave in and off the three of us went. Don't you know she did great! We did a mercy stop half way through to rest on a bench but that was all she needed. It was a joy to have both of them together on the walk. I am hoping this is a trend. yvonne

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yvonne, are your dogs afraid of all these spring storms? Twinkie's really afraid of the high winds and thunder and lightning.

Janet 'n Twinkie.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sabian and Pearl aren't. My adopted boy Beau, who is 13, is very afraid. This is the third set of storms to go through since I have had him. He gets very nervous,paces around and whines. There is no settling him down. I know he came from the midwest so storms are not new for him. I will worry about him when we have afternoon storms and I can't be there. yvonne

·
Registered
813 Posts
George is terrified of thunder. We've had tornadoes twice already and several big storms and he tries to crawl into my clothes with me. Poor baby. I hug and cuddle and assure him I won't let the thunder get him. I can't imagine what he does when a storm comes up and we're both at work.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Our rescue dachshund Minna went into panic mode, literally bouncing off our walls during her first thunder storm with us. When I finally caught her I put her in her crate and she calmed right down. She feels safe in there, so that's where she goes now when big storms come through. I think talking and cuddling might actually reinforce the fear reaction-

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Murraysmom,
Good point about reinforcing the behavior. I never thought about it that way. I have never put Beau in a crate. I used to crate my other two but now they don't need it. Maybe I will get one of the crates out and see if he likes it. With his diminished eye sight I wonder if he wouldn't feel safer in there anyway. yvonne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts