Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nope! Ruby hasn't but what products do I buy just in case (I've heard that tomato juice isn't all that effective).

The reason why I ask, is that there's so many new smells out there for Ruby to breathe in when we take her out that she doesn't know where to start.
Her daddy took her out for her last "go potty" of the night and he saw a skunk on the hill and Ruby didn't see it or seem to smell it. But he said that he had to lead her back to the house because she was walking right towards it.

Just what we would have needed at midnight; so....since we're going to the store today, any ideas on what to have on hand just in case?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Good for you for thinking about this BEFORE the skunk strikes. I didn't, and Lightning got sprayed full in the face. Bassets already look sad--imagine one with blood red eyes and tears pouring down his cheeks. It was horrible. I found a recipe on the internet that included a tablespoon of liquid detergent, baking soda, and white vinegar, if I remember correctly. I didn't have baking soda on hand, but somehow I thought kitty litter might do the trick. Not so much. I think vinegar does more than anything else, but then your dog smells like vinegar. But I would do a quick search on the internet for the vinegar/baking soda/detergent recipe. Which reminds me: I need to stock up on all those.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also heard that the mixture of 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and a tsp of dishwashing liquid will also work. Leave on five minutes and repeat if necessary. Be aware that hydrogen peroxide is a bleach. Be wary of where you use it, and it might lighten your dog's fur some. If you had time, I guess you could spot test, but if a "skunking" ever happens, you'll probably be more interested in getting rid of the smell than if the dog gets a touch lighter. I've also heard tomato juice works, but don't know how true that is.

Janet 'n Twinkie

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When our German Shepherd got skunked we used Dawn Dishing Washing Liquid. It cuts through good. It worked good.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I also hear Nature's Miracle has a skunk
...er...deodorizing product. :D I've seen it at PetCo. Not sure how well it works, I haven't had the pleasure. But I do know Nature's Miracle products in general are good.

I've heard the tomato juice doesn't always work, guess it depends on how good a shot you get.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This may sound a little weird, but my aunt and uncle who live in the country, middle of nowhere, swear by Massengill douche. I have also heard of other people who have tried it and liked the results. No first hand knowledge for us yet, thank goodness.

found a site
list of skunk remedies on eHow

[ March 15, 2006, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Oliver Twist ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had dog that was sprayed many years ago and was told that tomato juice contains an enzyme that neutralizes the smell. We tried that, but it didn't work very well.

However, after making some inquiries, we did find a product containing a concentration of the enzyme, and it did work. Can't remember what it was called, but we did find it at a pet store. I would inquire around.

The whole thing was a big hassle, though.

[ March 15, 2006, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Hound Gnome ]

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe once cornered a young skunk under the back steps and got sprayed. Of course it was ten o'clock on a Sunday night so I couldn't call anyone or go to a store for something even if I knew what to buy. I was stuck. Keeping him outside overnight was totally out of the question - my poor spoiled baby kept outside like a... a... a DOG?!

We used to use white vinegar to eliminate odors from his 'accidents' when we were housebreaking Moe. I just happened to have a half of a jug of the stuff shoved forgotten way in the back of the kitchen cabinet. Having no other choice I decided to give it a try. I put him in the tub (trying not to inhale :p ) and wet him down with a half-water/half vinegar solution, then washed him with his shampoo, then I rinsed him again with the half-and-half, then I washed him with the shampoo again. I debated trying to keep him off the lazyboy till morning, then said 'to heck with it' and went to bed (it was late and I was beat). The next morning Moe smelled clean and pretty and the chair he slept in all night was slightly damp but odor-free.

All I keep on hand now is vinegar... it's cheap and it works.

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a link I learned about on another board:
Skunk Remedy

It gives very thorough directions and the reasons why it works. I hope you never have to use it! :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts