Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ugh. my poor dog. yesterday, i decided to take my dogs to my parents backyard to burn off some energy while i attended a funeral(i live in an apt). i sent my fiance to go pick them up, and my dog hank wasn't walking on his back left leg and wimpering when we touched it. i have no idea what could have happened to his leg it makes no sense to me, they were fenced all day and my sister was there the whole time and didn't hear anything. when i went to work this morning he was on the same place on the couch that we put him last night. im working on getting someone to cover for me at work so i can take him to the vet. you can tell he is in pain. :(

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Not good news. Hope he's okay or at least gets better soon.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
How old is Hank? Bassets are prone to panosteitis and it often comes on suddenly in younger males. Both of our Bassets had Pano when they were between 6 mos. and 2 yrs old. Came on suddenly, wouldn't put weight on the leg. Bubba had it in his rear leg and Bogie had it in his front leg. Very painful, but meds and crate rest, worked wonders.

What is panosteitis?
Panosteitis is a bone disease of dogs that is characterized by bone proliferation and remodeling. It is often painful and can last as long as 18 months, though more commonly it lasts from 2 to 5 months. It is characterized by lameness that often comes and goes and changes from leg to leg. It is a common problem in several large breeds and the cause is currently unknown. The treatment is symptomatic but the outcome is usually very good. Who gets panosteitis?

Panosteitis is most common in large breed dogs between 6 and 18 months of age. Occasionally, middle-aged German Shepherds will have a bout of panosteitis. It affects dogs worldwide and has been recognized and studied since the 1950's. Male dogs are much more likely to get panosteitis then females. There is a higher incidence in several breeds including German Shepherds, Great Danes, Doberman Pinschers, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Rottweilers, and Basset Hounds.

What are the symptoms?
Presenting symptoms include a history of acute sudden lameness not associated with any trauma. It is usually a large breed male dog between the ages of 6 to 18 months. There are periods of lameness lasting from 2 to 3 weeks and it may shift from leg to leg. The most commonly affected bones are the radius, ulna, humerus, femur, and tibia, though the foot and pelvic bones may also be involved. The dog may show a reluctance to walk or exercise. When the affected bones are squeezed, the dog reacts painfully. Occasionally, affected dogs will have a fever, tonsillitis, or an elevated white blood cell count.

I hope the vet will find and easy fix and Hank will be better soon. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey everyone. rough weekend. hank's injury is A LOT worse than we thought. the head of his femur where it connects to the hip in the ball and socket completely broke into 2 pieces. he is having a surgery called an FHO on wednesday, so right now we have him on a bunch of painkillers they gave us and he is a permanent fixture on my loveseat. it's driving me crazy not knowing how this could have happened, the vet said injuries like that take a lot of force and are usually seen in dogs who have been hit by cars. i feel so bad for hank, you can tell he's in a lot of pain. i'm hoping the surgery will have little effect on his mobility, but i guess we'll see. i just want his pain to go away, i can't imagine how he must feel. thanks for y'alls thoughts. oh and for the person who asked, Hank is 10 months old.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
So sorry about Hank's injury. I hope he will do well after surgery. Bogie had a completely snapped ACL in the rear leg he did just running the "Basset 500" in our home. A three month healing process with six weeks of total crate rest, only out for potty breaks, and we all survived. Pups can do strange things with all that boundless energy, and I know Lab pups and Lab mixes are constant motion. You may never figure out how he did it. Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Oh no, terrible news! Just like kids they can get into mischief or hurt without anyone knowing what happened. I hope the surgery goes well and he recovers well.

~Heather

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yea, I know about leg injuries... our previous dog was a lab golden mix, and never had joint/leg issues, but flash forward to Snickers, and a week after she was fixed I had her back at the vet's cause she tore cartliage in her knee! After 2 weeks of linited activity Which was HELL...especially for an 8 month old pup) and some painkillers, she's doing fine, but I still get a little leary when she runs a lot...don't want to retear it!
Love and kisses from Snickers to Hank,for a successful surgery, and a speedy recovery:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone! surgery is tomorrow, i'm kinda nervous is that weird? this is taking a toll on both of my pups, hank for obvious reasons, but toby is frustrated because he doesn't have a playmate right now. i can't wait til this is all over with! i know hank must not feel well he hasn't pooped since saturday since he can't squat with his leg like it is. what a nightmare. thank you for all the wishes, i'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Good luck with the surgery tomorrow. Hope everything goes well and Hank has a speedy recovery. Sending lots of drool for him.
No, it's not weird to be nervous about tomorrow at all. I am nervous every single time I drop one of our dogs off at the vet, whether it's for something "routine" like teeth cleaning or surgery. I am never really relaxed until I get the call that they are awake and that I can go pick them up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't think it's silly. Any time one of my animals need to go under anethesia I'm always nervous even though I trust my vet to make the right decisions. You just never know. Hopefully he comes through with flying colors and makes a quick recovery.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i dropped him off this morning and signed all his paperwork. he had anesthesia on saturday and i'm assuming when he was fixed too. they said he would be in a lot of pain for a while since they are having to go in and remove this bone. i'll keep y'all posted whenever i hear from the vet later today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts