Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered this but have hesitated asking because it sounds silly, but here goes....

So as everyone knows bassets have long ole bodies and have quite a wiggle butt! Does all the wiggling combines with the long body cause issues in their spine/back?

I ask this because Ella has the HUGEST wiggle while she walks! She walks like she is trying her darn hardest to impress some studly dog behind her! Her butt moves more than any other dog I've seen, I watch her walk and I just think man I swear the bottom of her spine has to get tired or worn from all that wiggling! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't think the wiggling matters but you do need to take care for their backs as they get older. Just like other long backed dogs they are more prone to disk and back issues. So just be careful letting them jump on and off furniture and things like that. However not all bassets have issues mind you and weight plays a major factor... that's why it's always important to keep them in a healthy weight so as not to put extra strain on their back.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
the actual problem is more conformational and really has nothing to do with the length of the back either. There are plenty of large and giant breed That actual have much longer backs in which IVD (intervertabret disc Disease )is rare. What it is related to is the dwarfism that creates the short legs. It also affects the disc of the back making them more brittle and hard, the disc of a 1 year old basset is the equvienlt of 8 year old in a non-dwarf breed. Now many breeds that have this problem do not look like typical dwarfs but it is obvious their smaller size is related in some part to such dwarfism, wich includes beagles, and mini poodles. . The dachshund has by far the highest incident of back problem with 25% suffering some type of problem in a life time for more detail and info see

Canine Intervertebral Disk Disease
Prepared for

The Dachshund Club of America, Inc.
by
Patricia J. Luttgen, DVM, MS
Diplomate, American College of
Veterinary Internal Medicine,
Specialty of Neurology
Denver, Colorado

Disks can be divided into two histochemical types: 1) chondrodystrophoid and 2) nonchondrodystrophoid or fibroid. The word "chondrodystrophoid" literally means faulty development or nutrition of cartilage. In humans, chondrodystrophoism is recognized physically (phenotypically) as dwarfism, where individuals are smaller than normal and whose parts (especially limbs) are disproportionate. Certain breeds of dogs, such as dachshunds, show their chondrodystrophism by having disproportionately short and angulated limbs. However, phenotypic characteristics alone can not be used to identify chondrodystrophoid dogs. Other breeds, such as miniature poodles and beagles, have been histochemically identified to have chondrodystrophoid disks and yet do not appear outwardly to be chondrodystrophoid.

...Biochemical differences between chondrodystrophoid and nonchondrodystrophoid disks are apparent shortly after birth and explain the differences in the types of degeneration that occur. The degeneration that occurs in chondrodystrophoid disks is called chondroid metaplasia because the nucleus pulposus is gradually replaced with cartilage. Degeneration takes place rapidly and begins as early as 6 months of age starting at the periphery of the nucleus pulposus and progressing centrally. A dramatic and rapid increase in collagen content, as much as 30-40% by dry weight, is seen between 6 and 12 months of age. In addition, total glucosaminoglycan content will be 30 to 50% lower than age matched nonchondrodystrophoid dogs within the first 3 years resulting in a great loss of water content in the nucleus. When this happens, the nucleus loses its elasticity and no longer acts as an efficient shock absorber.

...In comparison, nonchondrodystrophoid disks degenerate by fibroid metaplasia with the process becoming clinically significant at 8 to 10 years of age. Fibroid degeneration involves a gradual process of dehydration, and therefore loss of elasticity, of the nucleus pulposus with the incorporation of increasing amounts of collagen and polysaccharides (chondroitin sulfate and keratin sulfate). This causes a gradual diminishing of the border between the annulus fibrosus and the nucleus pulposus, and thus a weakening of the disk's overall biomechanical abilities. Partial rupture of the annulus fibrosus may result allowing the nucleus pulposus to bulge into the annulus and possibly the spinal canal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts