Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question? Is there a age in a hounds life that the live sperm count naturally drops from normal?
Has there been a study that concludes for instance at around the age of 5 years the count starts dropping?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I can't find a study that addresses your specific question, Mike, but here's what I did find out about decreased sperm counts.

Factors that can affect the number of spermatozoa per ejaculate include age, degree of arousal, testicular size, and frequency of ejaculation. Healthy dogs kept in new surroundings may show a temporary, reversible drop in sperm count. Dogs living in warm environments may experience transient drops in sperm counts. There are also some pathological conditions that can result in reduced sperm counts, including obstructions, retrograde ejaculation (ejaculation into the bladder) and testicular degeneration. In some breeds, testicular degeneration appears to be an autoimmune process affecting previously fertile, middle-aged dogs. Additionally, some systemic diseases, such as hypothyroidism can impair fertility.

Here are some links to discussions of fertility problems in male dogs.

Disorders Affecting Fertility in the Male Dog (P. Davol)
Infertility--Male Dogs (The 5-Minute Veterinary Consult)
Male Infertility
Reproductive Problems in Male Dogs (scroll down)

Additional reference: Freshman JL: Clinical management of the subfertile stud dog. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 31:2, 2001, p 259

[ March 14, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Part 4. Reproduction and the Male Dog
"In regard to semen quality, optimum fertility is not necessarily a factor of age of the dog, but appears to be more dependent on the stage of the sperm within the ejaculate (i.e. immature or aged sperm) or induced morphologic changes that occur in the sperm. Quality of the semen, therefore, is often more affected by factors other than age including degree of arousal, frequency of ejaculation, collection technique and sample handling. Since frequent ejaculation (daily collection of semen for 5 to 7 days) can cause a reduction in sperm output, studs in high demand may experience less than optimal fertility at certain times throughout their reproductive years. For this reason, it is recommended that sperm from valuable studs be collected and cryopreserved in sufficient quantities early in the male's career to ensure future availability. To this end, collection of semen on an "every other day" basis typically allows time for replenishment of sperm reserves."

CANINE REPRODUCTION - Q&A with DR. ROBERT HUTCHINSON August, 1st 2002
" Male dogs age the same as human males age... with a change in the type testosterone being produced from the testicles. One of the effects in the dog is benign prostatic hyperplasia (bigger prostate). This is a routine happening in all males over six years of age, being especially prominent in the Doberman. Unfortunately, it is misdiagnosed as an infectious process by many veterinarians. So they often times are treated by antibiotics, often with no subsequent improvement with often the drastic suggestion that the male be neutered. The PROPER treatment is one of hormone therapy, using one of two products: either Ovaban, that dreaded product we wouldn't use in the bitch, or Proscar, which is finasteride, which is a human product. These work by countering the change of the testosterone causing the prostate to shrink back down to a normal size, stopping the bleeding, making the dog reproductively normal. A dog with a prostate INFECTION will have PUS in the ejaculate, not blood. A dog with a true prostate infection runs a fever, or shows many of the signs of a bitch with pyometritis. Prostatic cancers do occur in the dog, but are more common in neutered dogs than in non-neutered dogs."

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I've had successful breedings from older males, in fact I prefer them since I already have an idea of their health and what they will produce. My most recent litter (9 pups) was sired by a 7 year old, Spot was producing pups at 9, and Sally's sire was 10 when we did the breeding.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ranger is seven years old, his last litter sired had only 3 pups.The vet wants a sperm sample to run a test.
My interest in artificial insemination,semen collection,frozen semen storage.Is the next step in my education as a breeder.
I`m looking into going back to school(god is that scary)my friends keep saying follow your dreams but major debt on top of saving for kids college would scare almost anyone.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
What will you study?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Originally posted by mwfulkerson:
my friends keep saying follow your dreams but major debt on top of saving for kids college would scare almost anyone.
Hey, join the crowd. I spend hours every day chewing my nails over school debt! There's even iVillage forums for people like us! :D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
LOL Biscuit really? Noel should join those.. :roll:

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yes, really Menzie.

Problem is, I'm too freaked out about it all to join them! So I have no idea really what goes on in them -- I just know they exist and everytime I go look at them, everyone's even more freaked out than me :D

Sure explains why there are so many lifetime students in the world. Makes it very tempting to find a way to just keep getting advanced degrees til you hit the magic age of 65. :D I have three or four I'm considering at this very moment. ;)

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Michael - I think the fact that you have a hunger to learn more about the care of the critters means that you'd end up being pretty good at it AND pretty happy doing it. :)

I don't know anything about the vet field or what all's available, but if it were me, I'd just start looking around to see what the possibilities are.

One thought that strikes me, though --- which may or may not be useful for you --- you've had the ability to acquire a lot of experience and knowledge because of your father and what you've been doing most of your life. You have certain kinds of knowledge that I bet you don't even know you have. And I'd wager you'd be able to be even more helpful in some kind of university extension services. Ag college, IOW. :D

Just a thought and maybe completely inappropriate, but it's what's popped in my mind everytime I've read your message.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
US Department of Labor:
Median hourly earnings of veterinary technologists and technicians were $22,950 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $19,210 and $27,890. The bottom 10 percent earned less than $16,170, and the top 10 percent earned more than $33,750.
Certainly a rewarding profession and one I'm sure you'd be good at but you mentioned saving for the kids college education. :eek:

[ March 21, 2004, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Median hourly earnings of veterinary technologists and technicians were $22,950 in 2002
That's not $22,950/hr? :confused:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know, my wife informed me of the low income of Vet techs.She gave me the (Lets be realistic speech)computers and medicine thats where the jobs of the future are needed.
I have a good business painting homes,I turn wealthy peoples homes into show houses.I have a talent for working with people and have been rewarded by a good income.
I have a dream that I will allways be involved with my hounds.I have a dream that I will be able to assist breeders in the artificial insemination process.I have a dream I will make my Father proud with Hounds of good health and stature.
I see great promise in the collection of semen from young studs to store for a later date.
Before my Aunt Mayme died she told me that she was afraid there was something that she should have done and did not do in her life.She laughed and said (I must have got old and forgot what it was....probably some crazy dream).

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Betsy that's what I said also :confused: But hey it's the Dept. of Labor so I figured maybe it meant they got paid by the hour rather than a salary. Anyway it's obviously a yearly income average.

For veterinarians:
Median annual earnings of veterinarians were $63,090 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $49,050 and $85,770. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $38,000, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $123,370.

According to a survey by the American Veterinary Medical Association, average starting salaries of 2002 veterinary medical college graduates varied by type of practice as follows:

All private clinical practices $46,339
Large animals, exclusively 48,303
Small animals, exclusively 48,178
Small animals, predominantly 46,582
Large animals, predominantly 45,087
Mixed animals 43,948
Equine (horses) 34,273

The average annual salary for veterinarians in the Federal Government in nonsupervisory, supervisory, and managerial positions was $72,208 in 2003.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Michael,

Around here, any kind of medical and most computer stuff is down the tubes, and likely will be for a long time. Essentially, everyone decided medical and computers were the way to go --- so everyone went to school and got medical and computer training and now there's way too many of them. I don't think our situation here is unusual.

If your area is anything like this area, I think if you went for some kind of specialized RN, you'd likely be okay. I'd stay away from computers though!

Me, I want you to work for your local extension and be one of those people who puts together helpful handbooks and puts on animal fairs and figures out weird doggie problems. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Geez, around here medical is incredibly in demand... But that's because no one in their right mind would go into medicine in the Philadelphia area. All of our doctors are fleeing the state because of the high malpractice insurance. :( I can get an appointment for my pooch or my birds in a few days, but I have to wait months myself. Think my vet would force me to take heartworm meds and shampoo with Frontline if I set up an appointment for myself with her?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
It depends on what you do, tiny. There's a demand here for specialized or experienced RN's but a concurrent refusal to pay for them ... meaning there are a few jobs for pretty specialized RNs but most of the RNs are already taken.

Most jobs here are for nurses' aides, techs, etc. because the hospitals, etc. don't want to pay for nurses. Not to mention, they're not too crazy about paying for the aides, etc. But there are now nurse's aides, etc., by the billions here.

This isn't a particular good state to end up in the hospital in, BTW.

:roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts