Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spencer had another accident in the house several nights ago & was still obsessively licking himself. Back to the vet we went. This time they took an x-ray, to check for bladder/kidney stones. He has a very small bladder stone, but the vet did not seem to think it was an issue. She did see some narrowing in his spinal cord, she believes due to natural aging. His spinal arthritis has also worsened. She admitted there was no clear-cut reason for the urination in the house, but thought possibly the narrowing in the spinal cord might be causing a nerve that controls the bladder to be compressed. She prescribed cystolamine, a medicine to help with bladder control. He has taken it the past 3 nights with no accidents, only some minor leakage one night. She seems to think all his licking was due to his instinct to clean himself when he leaks urine, but then in turn the licking stimulates more urine to leak. He does seem to be licking less since being on the medicine. Anyone have any experience with incontinent dogs or any experience with this medicine? She wants me to try the medicine for 2 weeks to see if it works & then we'll go from there. I'm hoping it works. I'd really hate to have to confine him at night.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
My keyboard is acting up, so apologies if this is goofy.

Lady, my perfectly giant German Shepherd girl, has some incontinence. She has spay incontinence, which means that she leaks urine. I have a bed which is easily washed which has made it possible for her to stay in the house and with the rest of us. Stress seems to lessen the frequency, too.

She is also beginning to develop some bowel incontinence. I am pretty certain it's related to her dysplasia, which is pretty bad. Fortunately, her poopies are quite firm --- and my floor is a wreck anyway.

If you don't have carpeting, dealing with the incontinence really isn't any big deal. Be sure to get a Swiffer, one that you can load with the solution. And try new beds, something you can throw in the washer. Lady's is makeshift. I ended up filling it with stuffing from some pillows, and every time I get a new pillow, I put the stuffing from an old one in it. It has a plain canvas cover - nothing fancy by any means, but she loves it and it's very easy to just throw in the washer.

Sorry to hear this about Spencer. :( But it sounds like he's in good hands.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Poor Spencer, we hope he feels better soon. Daisy has spinal arthritis too. Sending drool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts