Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with Spencer's vet. Thankfully, the biopsy showed no cancer cells. However, the liver cells were "swollen & abnormal." The problem is, they don't know why. Honestly, the vet gave me so much information and "possibilities", I can't remember all she said. But, before the biopsy, she mentioned Cushings Disease because Spencer had a couple symptoms, but at the time, she felt the likelihood of lymphoma was greater. Now, she wants to investigate the Cushings. She said they can do a urine test to determine the amount of creatine he was putting out. That would indicate the possibity or not of Cushings & if there, then next step would be blood tests. I did a little reading about Cushings & the only symptoms of it that he has is the excessive drinking & urinating. The vet agreed he doesn't have all the "classic" symptoms, but because they are at a loss for what the problem is, she feels investigating it is worthwhile. I'm happy it's not cancer, but frustrated at no answer. Any info on experiences with Cushings would be appreciated. Thanks.
Amy

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am so happy to hear that Spencer does not have cancer! I don't have any experience with Cushings but I just wanted to say that I hope you are able to find some answers as to what is going on with your boy. I sure hope he is going to be okay. We are sending lots of positive thoughts your way. How is Spencer feeling?
Here is a link about Cushings Disease.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/cushing_s_disease.html

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Our old doxie Hansel developed Cushings around the age of 13 and was on medication for it until he passed away at the age of 16 from congestive heart failure. He did well on the medication.

I'm sending you and Spencer all good thoughts- hope they come up with a diagnosis soon!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
There was a period of time about 3-4 years ago during which a vet diagnosed all of my sister's elderly pets with Cushing's (both cats and dogs). During that time, I became convinced Lady had Cushing's because Lady was drinking and peeing so much (to the point she was flooding the place).

My sister chose not to do anything about all the Cushing's diagnoses. She's a nurse, but is pretty drug-phobic and saw no point in putting elderly pets on drugs which may or may not help them, but could possibly have not good effects.

The cats turned out to have other things going on which were *not* Cushing's, including some kind of very strange cat specific disease I'd never heard of before. They also had the kidney failure which is typical of older cats. They were very, very old.

The dog (who is also pretty ancient) still has excessive drinking and peeing, and an accumulation of fat - ? - which is apparently typical of Cushing's, but she is still going strong and still has no clear diagnosis. She has never been given drugs or treatment of any sort for the Cushing's.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am glad you do not have evidence to support a fatal condition, for sure.
Based on some of what you have indicated it seems it is really too soon to know and test will need to be done before any diagnosis can be spelled out.
I am hoping for the best for Spencer.
don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts