Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spencer's urine test came back "as normal as can be," so the vet said there is no need to do blood tests for Cushings. She said she has no explanation for why his blood cells & liver cells are abnormal & that it may just be due to aging. For now, she is having me measure his water intake, just to get an idea of what he is drinking & so we have a reference for the future. He is almost acting normal again (as "normal" as a Basset can be!) ;) I'm happy he does not have Lymphoma or Cushings. For now, we are just going to let things be & see how he does. My boy is just getting old! That's not news to me, & if that's all that is going on, I can live with that. Thanks everyone for your good wishes & thoughts. They seem to have paid off!

Spencer says "Thanks everyone!"

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Is he feeling better? What was/is abnormal about his blood cells?

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is really good news. He is such a cutie pie, he reminds me of my beloved Otis who I lost 2 years ago. It is so heartwrenching to see the little ones get older, one never knows. Love him and enjoy every second you have with him.
Love,
Sally and Shermie

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. :)

Betsy,
The vet said some of Spencer's red blood cells were "misshapen." Also, his liver cells were "swollen."
It strange, he seems to be back to normal now. Do you or anyone else know know what is a "normal" amount for a dog to drink in a 24 hour period? The vet is having me measure his water intake. She said generally, they should drink 2 oz per pound per 24 hours. Spencer is about 50 lbs, so that's 100 oz in a 24 hour period. I've been measuring for 4 days & he has been drinking about 50 oz per 24 hours. This is greatly reduced from what he was drinking, which I thought was excessive. Just wondering.

Thanks,
Amy

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have no idea how much my dogs drink. I can tell you how much they spill, though! But I'm glad Spencer's feeling better. He's such a happy-looking boy. He makes me smile every time I see him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts