Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought Spencer a coat. He is 13 years old & has never worn a coat. He's never really had to, as he never stayed outside much. Well, some of you may know he was diagnosed with doggy alzheimer's & the vet suspects he may also have a brain tumor. He's had some behavior changes, one of them being that he has decided he is now an outdoor dog. I have a hard time keeping him in the house. He wants to be outside, but he doesn't do anything to generate any body heat. He just moseys around or lays & sleeps. We also walk everyday, no matter what the temperature. It's been pretty cold this winter in Cincy & that along with the fact he has lost some weight had me worried. I wasn't sure if he would wear a coat, but I thought it was worth a try. I found a lady on the internet that custom makes the coats to fit the unusual Basset body size/type. As you can see by Spencer's face, he's not terribly thrilled with the coat, but he does wear it and does not try to get it off. He wears it when we walk and when he decides he's going outside for longer than a quick potty break. I told him he is handsome & the other dogs are surely jealous, but I'm not so sure he agrees. ;)

""Pfttt. C'mon mom, the guys are going to laugh at me."

·
Registered
782 Posts
Oh, how cute!! I love it, I wish I could get Fran to wear one but he just tries to chew it off.
Great pictures of a handsome fellow.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Spencer is such a cutie. I imagine that's what my boy Gibbs will look like someday. His face is already getting white like Spencers. What a great coat, glad he keeps it on. My childhood dog Lil' Bit-A-Renagade (ATB) always found a way out of his coat no matter how sick he was.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I love Spencer in his jacket. I wonder if it is the brain tumor making him to prefer to be outdoors? The reason I ask is my Abby, an elderly brittany with a nasal tumor prefers to sleep where it is cold, despite having arthritis - even caught her napping in th snow last week. It is because the cancer revs up her metabolism and so the cool outside helps her feel better. Sending Spencer lots of warm thoughts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
He looks adorable! Does this lady make coats in different fabrics? I would love to get Yogi another coat, one that fits better anyway.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aww, thanks for all the nice comments. Lightning & Stomps - you make Spencer blush!

Yogi's Mom - the website is: gotsnoods.com

The coat fabrics on the site are fleece, but in a variety of patterns. From looking at her site, it seems she takes special requests also. She was very nice to deal with & filled my order quickly. I would recommend her.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
That second photo says it all, doesn't it?:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts