Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Artie age 10 started having seizures in September 2007. After the first one, the vet kept him a day and did bloodwork, ultrasound of his liver and chest and ekg. When everything came back fine, they had me bring him again for a bile acids test. Basically, they draw blood before the dog eats, then again after he eats and compare the results. This test also showed nothing abnormal. Two months went by before another seizure, and the vet thought it best to continue to watch and wait. Three more months before the next seizure occurred, at which time Artie was prescribed phenobarbital. That was last February 21. He has been seizure free since then and his liver shows no signs of damage from the meds. The side effects he did experience only lasted about 2 weeks and included sedation, hunger, and lots of whining.The vet has said that if seizures should return/worsen, we might need to investigate the possibility of a brain tumor, but Artie seems no worse for the wear and continues to terrorize the entire household as he sees fit.

I know how scary it is to watch the seizure, and there's not much you can do besides make sure they don't hurt themselves until they snap out of it. I hope Spencer feels better and doesn't have to go through another one.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.