Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
So glad to hear he's doing OK now. Hopefully that was his first and last seizure. Stay healthy, Spencer![/b]

One siezure is not atypical in a life time.

FWIW
The epiletic dog I had the post ictal phase lasted 24 hours and was marked not by manic activity by rather a lack of any. Neither is a typical each dog usually has there own pattern. I think the first siezure is hardest on the dog and owner because they don't understand what is happening. You may want to discuss with your vet a perscription for (valium) to be adminstered rectally in the case of an emergency. custer or status sizure (siezure lasting 10 minute or more) can kill. Just because the dog never had one before does not mean it won't

EMERGENCY CARE FOR CANINE SEIZURES

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
seizure situation with my basset Sadie.
give the age of the dog do you know the difference between a siezure and a tremor.

She is pushing 12 years old
This makes idopathic (unknown cause) epilesy unlike so there is an underlying casue for the siezure, be it chemical or neurological.

They are starting to occur daily now.
This is a very bigg concern because each siezure loweres the threshold for the next. So the more frequent the siezures the more frequent they become. What vets consider controled is up for debate ussual between 1 anonth to 1 every 3-6 month obvious once a day is not under control

CANINE SEIZURES - OVERVIEW,
CAUSES AND TREATMENTS

Most dogs with idiopathic epilepsy suffer their first seizure between the ages of one and five years of age. A genetic basis for idiopathic epilepsy is strongly suspected in several breeds including the Beagle, Belgian Tervuren, Keeshond, Dachshund, British Alsatian, Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever and Collie. Idiopathic canine epilepsy may have an inherited basis in other breeds also.

POSSIBLE CAUSES OF SEIZURES BY AGE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.